Dog being naughty

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by jjwilson72000, Aug 17, 2012.

1. jjwilson72000

jjwilson72000 New Member

My clever little dog, who is a great chicken protector has learned the delicate art of stealing eggs, cracking them open, and slurping out the yolk.

We leave our coop open all day so the chickens can free range, and the dog will rush in, grab an egg and run out and hide in a bush and eat it. They have this down, where some of the hens will follow him to eat the eggshell when he is done.

He knows he is not supposed to, I can't leave the coop closed, and I can't go out and get eggs five times a day, any suggestions?

2. chickenman18

chickenman18 New Member

I think you should build a chicken run so your dog can not get in

3. jjwilson72000

jjwilson72000 New Member

There is a run attached to the coop, but there are 22 chickens and the run is probably 15 X 10. Too small for them all to be locked in all day. I have a 2 acre fenced yard that the dogs and chickens cannot get out of.

4. bonnie

bonnie New Member

HOT CHILI SAUCE THE EGGS ? I know it sounds mean even to me.
    I'm glad your dog is a chicken protector. My Ladies haven't laid an egg yet ( soon ? ) so, I have a feeling I may be in the same boat as you and hope someone comes up with a good answer. My dog loves the hens and it is probably because she loves eating the hens food. I also give the dogs a hard boiled egg every morning when I make my husbands lunch. I may have already created a MONster egg lover. Sounds like one smart dog you have there. Gets in and out and hides the goods. Bet your dog can run faster than you too.;)

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

You could consider it payment for a job well done. This dog works hard to keep those chickens safe.

6. TheLazyL

TheLazyL Member

Tie up or pen the dog....

7. jjwilson72000

jjwilson72000 New Member

Not an option, he has already killed a few possums and a skunk. The dog is the best shepard of the flock, suppose I should just consider it payment for the work done.