Does anyone else spoil their hens?

Discussion in 'Chick Raising Forum' started by HeyHeyEvie, Oct 15, 2012.

1. HeyHeyEvie

HeyHeyEvie New Member

I was out this morning pulling my eggs and putting feed down, and my girls were in their outdoor pen to forage. When they found out that all they were getting was nasty old laying pellets, boy were they angry! I was afraid people in the next county over would hear them griping! My feathered friends get old cereal, bread, and French fries all the time. Does anyone else spoil their lovely ladies?

2. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Yes mam, I give em goodies all the time.. Just gave some bread and buns to a mess of birds in the front yard. And some purple hull peas and stale cheerios out the back door to some others.. They eat all our food scraps..

3. Jeremysbrinkman

Jeremysbrinkman New Member

My big girls free range all day and meet me at the car when I get home because I usually do not eat my entire lunch ( leftovers) . I give it to them then. They also get any green stuff from the kitchen or some my dogs won't eat.

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Oh gosh yes. Who could ever say no to those little fuzzy faces! Golden Crisp Cereal is their all time fav treat right along with oatmeal & yogurt.

5. rob

rob New Member

mine love the dried mealworms i give them in the evening. and also the mixed corn. ive tried the with other foodstuff but apart from sweetcorn ive not found anything they will eat.

6. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

I have gone to the bait shop and bought the rotten little brats some live crickets, and turned them loose in the coop on rainy days. Chicken TV at it's best! Especially if the chickens are just babies, they aren't too sure about the crickets, then one will get a bug and play keep away, then they notice that crickets are everywhere, and it's on!!

7. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

I do the same with cereal crackers etc.

8. HeyHeyEvie

HeyHeyEvie New Member

That's awesome. I'm glad I'm not the only one! Its nice to spoil your animals some times. My dog and cat are rotten too!

9. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Our lil Sophie got mad just because we relocated her food bowl. It seems she will notice any slight change and will through our a big fuss over it. We then put it back exactly like it was then she was in instant silence like "ok much better" what a brat!!! Lol

10. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

They sure have their preferences don't they. My new hen went to take a bite from Lilah's personal dish last night. That did NOT go over well. Lilah was so mad. Mad already that she had someone sharing her perch. See when Lilah was little, she was so pecked on, that I set her up her own perch & food dish. Figured after awhile I'd be able to take it out since I set it up with saw horses. Just a temporary deal to help her get through the rough patch of transitioning. Well, she gets along fine now with the others but she also does not like to share her perch! Or food dish apparently. She's the most headstrong brat of them all. I perhaps indulged her a "wee" too much when she was little. :eek:

This is Lilah - my stubborn sweet bundle of fluff. :)

Attached Files:

11. robopetz

robopetz New Member

That is too cute! She's like, mama gave me this, so it's MINE! Lol

12. Homegirl

Homegirl New Member

Oh I would NEVER spoil my gang. Just organic feed, Rock-N-Rooster scratch that they will wait an hour (timed) to get, mealworms in the evening,table scraps.. But DO NOT offer lentils... or cabbage, lettuce. Not happening...Warm oatmeal in the winter...not they are not spoiled

13. HeyHeyEvie

HeyHeyEvie New Member

Just went out with this evenings treat bowl, and managed to get some pretty great photos! Thought I'd share with everyone! Got some of my jealous pup in there too! He begs for something out of the treat bowl every time.

image-3486485420.jpg

image-4021204070.jpg

image-2881030082.jpg

image-875081753.jpg

image-3212233679.jpg

image-442610420.jpg

image-4022328360.jpg

image-479512210.jpg

image-1342319155.jpg

image-549783228.jpg

Anyone know what the small white speckled he s are?

14. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

Well, if you ask me I'd say I don't. However, if you ask anyone else....well....lets just not ask anyone else lol
    Spoiling my birds is one of those simple things that bring me sooooo much joy!!

15. geminicowgirl

geminicowgirl New Member

I buy all kinds of goodies for my gals. I hit up the discount rack in the produce section, my gals had ripe avocado today but usually get sweet corn, grapes, bread. I even spice up their layer ration with some wild song bird seed. They go crazy for it. I even keep a stash of canned tuna in olive oil for a special treat. I hate tuna but chicks go crazy for it. Let me tell ya my obsession is not cheap but I am rewarded with the most delicious eggs everrrrrrr

16. kazmac

kazmac kazmac

Hi I do to. Any veg that i'm doing they get the cooked peelings, bread, cake, apples. If i'm in the kitchen cooking with the door open, they come in to see if there is anything for them. They even go into the stables with the horses and have a bit og dinner with them. :D One of my battery hens

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  17. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

What a sweetheart you have kazmac! Bet she's sooo happy to have you!!!

My german was getting jealous of my girls getting garden fresh tomatoes this summer. Finally one day she tried one that the girls had been eating. Now she loves them and fights with my RIR sass Abbie to snatch one.

18. chickflick

chickflick New Member

Gosh, my hens eat just about everything!! Mac and cheese is their favorite. Right now they're getting scrambled turkey eggs mixed with their mac and cheese. I always say, nothing goes to waste here. My kids even save their leftovers for the chickens. Spoiled? Naw. Their doing me a favor and keeping the garbage in the landfills down!!

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

That's the spirit. Making intelligent choices. Being green. That's why we got chickens right?

20. mcderry1967

mcderry1967 New Member

Gosh, mine are spoiled too. They see me coming out at mid day and they go crazy running across the field to greet me. They love blueberries!! Cheese is a 2nd great treat!:)