Do you currently raise chickens?

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Keith, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Currently raise chickens.

102 vote(s)
    82.9%
  2. Have raised before but not actively.

13 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Have not yet started raising chickens.

8 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Keith

Keith New Member

Trying to get a feel for the community and how many are actively raising, how many in limbo, how many interested but not yet started.

For those in limbo and have not yet started, what obstacles do you have to overcome to start?

For those raising, words of encouragement for beginners would be great.

2. mamadice

mamadice New Member

Haven't raised in a while...

We haven't had chickens in quite some time, but are planning on getting our kids back into it as soon as we can get our materials together for the coop. :)

3. SueEllen_k

SueEllen_k New Member

We have raised a lot of chickens in the past. That was when we had acreage. We now live in the city, and are allowed to raise 3 chickens, all hens, no roosters. The city requires a "license", and they are labeled as pets. We have incubated, started with straight run chicks and bought pullets. My favorite is the Buff Orpingtons and we found a really great place to order them. The best part is that we don't have to order a minimum of 25 straight run, or pullets, but can order only 3. We won't get our little girls until the spring. We'll be building our coop also. I've seen some wonderful designs in this forum. Our Carpenter son will help his dad, or rather, he will probably build the coop by himself, cause dad is all thumbs when it comes to building... nevertheless, we will have a beautiful coop by the time our son is finished. He helped build the first one we ever had, and the second one almost by himself when he was about 14. Mighty handy to have a son who loves to build things.

4. vensik

vensik New Member

Friends sister was moving back to the city and couldn't take her coop, so I am raising as of now. :) It's been fun.

5. brighty

brighty New Member

I currently am raising Bantam chickens.

6. PeterFromRutland

PeterFromRutland Junior Member

I have two R.I. red hens. Had six, four got the blood sucked out of them by a weasel. Also had three sextings, two male, one female. They got taken by a fox one day. After battening down the hatches on the coop we got a new rooster and six new barred rock hens. One turned out to be a rooster.

They still haven't started laying yet, which I'm starting to get concerned about. If I remember right we got them around April.

7. Terri_Espinoza

Terri_Espinoza New Member

Ready to start raising again

We just moved out in the country and plan on start our own flock again. I like to keep a combination of layers and broody hens to hatch out more layers. I love to watch chickens wandering around the yard, it is so relaxing and peaceful. And you sure can't beat having free range eggs fresh every day!

8. ozenhouse

ozenhouse New Member

Currently have 2 isa brown hens about a year old that I raised from chicks. Matilda and Penelope (Henny penny). They are big fat hens that usually provide 2 x large eggs a day, even through the heat this summer. I live in the city and could have up to 3 more chickens but am not so sure about introducing more chickens to my 2 happy girls. I should probably stick to what I have since I would need to enlarge the hen house before adding more. Another project for next summer, so good for now.

9. thebrandons

thebrandons New Member

We have had chicken for about the last 5 years. It is wonderful experience.
    We currently have 23- 4 roosters (one that is blind) and 20 girls. All differnet breeds. Our roos are a bearded silkie, a non bearded silkie, a blue polish and a red laced blue wyandotte. The girls that we have are a speckled sussex, golden campine, salmon faverolles, barred rock, buff orpington, 2 polish (1 blue, 1 buff), ameracuana, 2 wyandottes, 2 d'uccles, jersey giant, australorp, blue andalusian, welsummer, lt brown leghorn, blue cochin, and a half silkie/half standard mutt. Yes, they are all named:p

10. sabrina_wilson

sabrina_wilson New Member

Currently keeping 5 hens that lay beautiful brown eggs in my backyard coop. 1 Rhode Island red, 3 Black Australorps, 1 Speckled Hen ! loving this life!

11. OthalaAcres

OthalaAcres New Member

We have been raising Dominique and Silkie chickens since 2002 and Narragansett turkeys since 2003 (we still have one of our ORIGINAL turkey hens, too! She's a spry old lady who has been laying and raising babies right up until last year... I think she finally decided to retire this year. :)) We also have a few Buff Chanteclers and Easter Eggers as egg chickens, along with one big broiler hen who I kept to cross with our Dominique roos to raise some meat birds that can forage. I accidentally created a great "designer breed" chicken a few years back, that I call a "Silkinique" (like the "labradoodles" and "cockapoos" in the dog world) ... they are a Silkie/Bantam Dominique cross. Usually they are barred, blue or sometimes even splash, and usually have 5 toes, feathered feet, a crest, and hard feathers (softer and fuller than a full Dominique's feathers, but not Silkie feathered). They seem to combine the best qualities of both breeds. They can either have dark skin or light skin. Everyone that I have rehomed them with raves about how cute, friendly and personable they are. Every year I hatch out a half dozen or so for pets, because I've gotten requests for them. We have a couple pet ones that we also kept, and they make some of the best pet chickens!

12. secovalleyranch

secovalleyranch New Member

soy-free, non-GMO feeds

I have a small flock of egg laying breeds. I object to offering feed containing soy due to its high levels of phytic acid that reduces assimilation of minerals, trypsin inhibitors that interfere with protein digestion and may cause pancreatic disorders, and phytoestrogens that disrupt endocrine function and have the potential to cause infertility and to promote breast cancer in adult women that consume foods containing them. Other than that, its a great source of cheap protein.

I have an even stronger objection to feeding forage or grain products from genetically modified plants for a myriad of reasons.

A common substitute for soy protein is fish meal (sunflower seed is also high in protein but prohibitively expensive due to its popularity in cooking oils and biofuels). Animal Welfare Approved http://www.animalwelfareapproved.org/ objects to the use of fish meal in livestock feeds due to the likelihood of catching endangered Menhaden "Most fishmeal is not produced as a by-product of catching fish for human consumption, and millions of tons of fish – including menhaden and other valuable prey species such as sand eels". That leaves me with few options for commercially available feed. I've been buying Coyote Creek Certified Organic Soy-free Layer mash ($840per ton). The Coyote Creek feed contains sustainably sourced fish meal. I recently learned Producers Cooperative in Bryan custom blends a feed that does not contain corn or soy. They use primarily milo and wheat germ for protein. Those grains do not yet have a GMO variety on the market. The feed is also supplemented with fish meal (don't know if it is a sustainable source) and a little alfalfa (don't know if the source is GMO or not), flax and vitamin/mineral. The price is $15.60 per bag ($624 per ton). They have the option of pelletizing or pressing the feed into crumble, which prevents a lot of waste, but the minimum order is 2 tons. I really only have storage capacity for one ton, so would be interested in splitting an order with others next time I need feed. The Producers feed grain content is non-GMO by default of their selected grains, but is mixed in the same hoppers they use for their conventional feeds, so will contain traces of GMO products, and none of which are Certified Organic, but saving over $200 per ton and having the option of a pelletized feed is attractive. I'm guessing I will be running low on feed in September. Is anyone in the Central Texas area interested in splitting an order?

Other non-GMO options I'm aware of are H&H Old Fashioned Feeds (soy free) Burnet $16.90 per 50#($676 per ton), and Hiland Naturals available at McQueeney Mill in Seguin (contains soy) $29.50 per bag ($1180 per ton--yikes!) Woerner Feed in Fredericksburg sells the same feed for $27 per bag. This is a powdery mash.

More info on the dangers of soy http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert/
    More info on the dangers of GMO's http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-danger-of-genetically-modified-foods/251051/
    http://www.responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dangers
    http://farmandranchfreedom.org/gmo

13. markhorsley68

markhorsley68 New Member

Hi,I currently have 2 blue haze hens,2 ginger nut ranger hens,2 silkie hens,2 brahma hens,2 cuckoo pekin hens and a turkey hen,also I'm collecting 2 silver laced Wyandotte bantams on Saturday,I'm thinking of getting a cockerel next to complete my flock,space isn't an issue but I'm hoping to come across a breed of cockerel that isnt going to crow constantly,I know every cockerel is different but is there a certain breed that is relatively quieter than others?Any help greatly appreciated.

14. dobro_harp

dobro_harp Junior Member

HI,
    I am new here and started out this spring getting chicks from Sand Hill Pres. ( 38 mix of chicks) and Cackle Hatchery with 10 Red sex link 5 Easter Eggers and 1 Maran Roo. Turned out to have 14 from Sand Hill to be Roos.. I found homes for all but 3 of my roosters which I will keep. 1 Gold and 1 Black Polish and the Maran. Ended up with 2 Aubran Sumata hens, 3 Black Leghorn hens, one that looks like a barred rock, 1 looks like a Black Australop, 1 looks like a white leghorn. I have a total of 26 hens now. I has started laying green eggs. (not sure who tho) :D

15. rogerb16

rogerb16 New Member

I raised twenty Rhode Island Reds from peeps, all survived for over two years. They are very productive egg layers. They are all hens and very easy to care for. I gave them to my neighbor who already raises turkeys and chickens. They are all doing fine, and he has roosters so they now have chicks. We have a major coyote problem and an active red-tailed hawk colony. The hens stayed in a chain link dog pound at night and grazed during the day over an acre. I plan to renovate their coop and add improvements like a rain water capture, automatic watering system. Also, I am going to put the next flock in a building that is off the ground and the floor will have to be sealed against rodent/snake entry. I really enjoyed caring for the girls, except for when we had almost two feet of snow on the ground. They are great recyclers of kitchen scraps and loved foraging for wild food as well as Purina Layena. I am still harvesting the manure/wood chip waste that has composted for close to a year- it's great on the garden. I am looking forward to my next flock and making their care more user friendly with what I learned from the first flock.

16. dademoss

dademoss Junior Member

I have not yet started raising chickens, but the forum is a great resource as I plan.

17. jwclevelandoh

jwclevelandoh New Member

We currently have 39 chickens and 14 rabbits 3 dogs 2 cockatiels 1 turtle and 4 daughtersI have been raising chickens all my life we just have always had chickens and rabbits. And other things but always chickens and rabbits. We name very few because once it gets a name it becomes a pet and we don't eat pets
    Butch & Family. From the Urban farm

18. Marthab53

Marthab53 New Member

I have raised Chickens for over 50 years and this is what I have at the moment, But that is always changing.
    14 Orpington’s (Blue, Lavender, Splash, Lemon Cuckoo, Buff.
    2 Barred Rocks
    6 Bantam Ameraucana
    21 Bantam Cochins-Millie, Calico, Gold Laced,, Mottled etc.
    17 Polish large fowl and Bantam plus.
    63 Chicks that I have hatched in the last Month half of those are a few days old to 2 weeks old. (29 of the chicks are Polish chicks

19. colum

colum New Member

We have around 60 hens 6 rabbits and four dogs . I am going to do a clean out in a few weeks and then restock over the next few months . I will be looking new breeds so some advice will be asked soon

20. DoneDeere

DoneDeere New Member

Hi my user name is "DoneDeere" and I recently retired from my job. I live in a development and one neighbor has chickens and now I would like some as well. I like the Bantam chickens due to small yards and perhaps a bit easier to keep in a fenced yard area. any thoughts are bantams easier that full size chickens to raise/ We had chickens when I was a kid but mom did most of the work.