Dehydrating Eggs

Discussion in 'Egg Quality & Storage' started by machinist, Jul 23, 2012.

1. machinist

machinist New Member

Anyone done this? I read on another forum that one lady whipped the eggs into a froth, put them on parchment paper in her dehydrator and they dried nicely. When dried crispy, she scraped it off the parchment paper (whatever THAT is?) and put the chunks into the blender to make powder. Vac sealed the powder in a canning jar.

To reconstitute, she added an equal volume of water and used the mix to make omelets or scrambled eggs.

I haven't tried this yet and want to hear from anyone who has done it. Looks like a good way to store excess summer eggs for winter, or camping trips.

2. ChickenAdmin

ChickenAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to at some point.

I will report back when I do.

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe New Member

I do it too but I don't use the parchment paper. I just pour it on the "leather" trays that came with the dehydrator. It takes 5-6 hours at 135° for them to dry. The first batch I did last fall I left on overnight and it burnt them to almost black. Back in April when the eggs started coming faster than we were eating them I tried it again. Worked beautifully.
    I didn't powder it. I just sealed the "flakes" in Mason jars and have not tried using any yet.

4. machinist

machinist New Member

UncleJoe, what does a leather tray look like? I presume it is for fruit leather? I plan to build my own solar dehydrator. The old one we have is REALLY old and only came with window screen type trays.

I gotta try this. I think the powdering was to make it reconstitute more easily.

5. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I have never found the need to put my eggs in the dehydrator... sorry ...

6. thespiralandthelotus

thespiralandthelotus New Member

Parchment paper is the stuff you use to line the caketin with for example. I think its also called greaseproof paper?

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe New Member

Yep. Just a semi-rigid plastic tray. You can go to the website of the manufacturer and buy leather trays. Our first dehydrator came with 2 and we bought 2 more. We got one unit at a yard sale that had no trays so we bought them. I love making fruit leather. :)

8. Roseann

Roseann Junior Member

not yet...but the shells

I have NOT dehydrated eggs yet...but I do dehydrate the shells a little and then grind them up and feed them back to my chickens mixed in with their feed. They are a good source of calcium. Chickens use alot of calcium to produce the shells on their eggs and I read in the chicken encyclopedia that you need to give some back to them.
    I dehydrate them for only an hour or two to make sure they are really dry before turning them to powder. I also use the ground shells in my garden.