Culling?

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by amandahalterman, Sep 27, 2012.

1. amandahalterman

amandahalterman Junior Member

Can someone please tell me what culling means? Thanks

2. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Thinning the flock.... getting rid of undesiralbe traits.

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I agree with ThreeJ but some of us also cull older hens making them stew hens. Then in the spring they will then be replace with pullets.

Waste not ... want not. :)

4. amandahalterman

I still don't understand, lol

5. annlouise

annlouise New Member

Culling is a nicer way of saying killed

6. adorson

adorson New Member

Culling can also mean selling or giving away birds you no longer need. When you cull, you are going through your flock and getting rid of chickens you do not want for one reason or another. It doesn't always mean the chickens are killed. Just thinning out your flock.

7. amandahalterman

Ok thanks for the info

8. kiwicsi

kiwicsi Junior Member

We cull pigeons in Cambridge because large numbers roost on our historic buildings. (Historic, by NZ standards is about 100 yrs or a bit older, nothing compared with Europe and America LOL) They poop a hell of a lot and the buildings need constant maintenance. So pigeon numbers are reduced with the help of a marksman with a rifle.

9. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

I think culling is a word that describes a purposeful removal. You can purchase 24 meat birds, but you don't cull them, you just butcher them at the right weight since all of them were meant for the freezer. Culling means that you thoughtfully go through the flock and pick and choose for a reason, whether it's who is laying and who isn't, who is of breeding quality and who isn't.

Even a dog breeder will look at a litter of pups and "cull" the bloodline by spaying/neutering certain pups for pets and remove them from possible future breeding.

10. amandahalterman

Thanks, I understand it better now

11. WeeLittleChicken

WeeLittleChicken Active Member

Culling just means taking an animal out of the breeding population. In chickens that can mean you butcher them but it doesn't have to. It could be as simple as just not letting it hatch any of its eggs. Breeders of any animal tend to keep young, watch them grow, and if they don't have the desired traits they are 'culled' - or never allowed to breed the next generation.

12. daydreamer1948

daydreamer1948 New Member

I recently "culled" some of my flock. I have Bantams,and several of my newly grown birds were getting very large. I like the small chickens so I gave the 4 large chickens to a friend of mine,and now he is happy and they are getting along just fine on his place. Those particular chickens had blue legs and feet. All the others have white legs and feet. Don't know what the difference is but blue legs and feet seem to be on the larger birds.