Quail Coturnix/Japanese Quail

Discussion in 'Gamebirds' started by OllieWood, Jul 17, 2012.

1. OllieWood

OllieWood New Member

Hi I have 4 coturnix quail chicks here (+1 Pekin bantam chick).
    Need another pair of eyes to help sex them please, I reckon I either have 1 or 2 girls for the quail, but the patterns on the silver ones are difficult to tell. (they are all 3 weeks old today).

Thanks if anyone can help! :)

Ollie

Attached Files:

2. cogburn

cogburn New Member

To sex quail, take a bird in one hand and with head towards your wrist and rump between thumb and pointer finger on same hand. Then with opposite hand take same fingers (pointer and thumb) spread the feathers apart at opening, slightly open and push in and squeeze slightly. The males will show a milky white, females will be pink.

3. Tony-O

Tony-O New Member

Just a guess on the chick. Looks like it's gonna be a roo.

4. OllieWood

OllieWood New Member

Quail= 3 boys 1 girl :/ selling both silver boys at an auction this week, keeping the silver girl and golden machurain male- I've already chucked the girl in with her mum and grandma so all is good :)

Pekin chick is a girl and I bought an 8 week old Dutch cross (girl) for company and they get on really well now!

5. charliechapman911

charliechapman911 New Member

Where are you selling them ? ;)

6. OllieWood

OllieWood New Member

Because my neighbours complained about the male's noise, and at the mo I have 7 boys and 5 girls, so I'm keeping 3 blokes (one that is a year old and a bit I'll -I don't use it for breeding) the 2 boys I'm keeping are the golden machurian and a 5 month tibetan(that I traded with a hatched boy at the farm near where I live so it's unrelated),

So I'll still have 2 sliver, 1 Tibetan, 1 yellow and one common jumbo brown girls :/

7. Italy-Dan

Italy-Dan New Member

So I distinguish the sex of my quail. I haven't wrong until now . I find it quite simple especially for brown quail. Males have colored brown chest while females have blacks and whites dots. Male under the throat has a sort of collar while the female does not. The male has his classic noisy and cheerful verse. The female has next to the beak to the eyes a brown line.
    I hope I was of help to someone :)