Chickens not laying

Discussion in 'Egg Quality & Storage' started by ElderlyAcres, Nov 25, 2012.

1. ElderlyAcres

ElderlyAcres New Member

I have a flock of Columbian Wyandottes that are almost 7 months old and yet to lay an egg. I added a light on a timer a couple of weeks ago but nothing so far. Any suggestions?

2. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Wait them out. It's the time of year. They may start laying any day now, or it may not be until after the daylight hours start growing longer again; after December 21st, the winter solstice.

3. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

In my opinion, adding light helps boost production in adult hens, a year old or older. For spring pullets, they will start laying for the very first time when their bodies are ready and the amount of daylight hours is enough; but mostly when their bodies are ready.

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

My Ameraucana was just over 7 months old when she laid her 1st egg on Thanksgiving Day. Her contribution. :D I'd think any day now for your girls.

5. boggycreekfarms

boggycreekfarms New Member

Could be the weather

We have 50 laying hens and we were getting about 3 doz. eggs a day up until about a week ago when the weather turn cold very quickly. Now we are only getting about 4-5 eggs a day. I use a light on them, weather is a little warmer now hopefully they will pick back up some. The light does help.

6. ElderlyAcres

ElderlyAcres New Member

Thanks for the replies to my post. I guess I'll have to develop some patience. The thing that disturbs me is that I have Black Copper Marans a month younger and they have been laying for a while now. In fact they began laying when I expected the Wyandottes to start. Go figure!

7. ElderlyAcres

ElderlyAcres New Member

Well next time someone ask about ways to get reluctant pullets to start laying, I think whining might do the trick. My Columbians gave me 2 eggs today and I have only been openly whining a few days. LOL

8. shickenchit

shickenchit New Member

Good Deal.....