Chickens and Dogs

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Roslyn, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

It inevitable, we have chickens and we have dogs. Country Life. However sometimes our dogs can be our worse predators, or our neighbors dogs.

Dogs can help keep away predators, I truly believe I don't have issues with racoons and weasel-y creatures because of my dog. He is a Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) and his name is Jake, he's finally over the nutty puppy years, it only took about 3 1/2 to 4 years!! He is the best dog for the chickens, if they send up an alarm he's out there checking the perimeter and then checking the skies, the only thing that stops him cold is bears. He's leery of bears, but he did have some scary run ins as a very young pup. We raised him up with a large flock of peeps and he had to learn along the way they are NOT his plaything. It wasn't easy, but it was worth it. This year he learned how to break up rooster fights, and he puts himself in between them and stands his ground until they walk away. It's interesting to watch. Heeler's are "scary smart".

How do you get your dogs to live with your chickens?

Attached Files:

2. Berta

Berta New Member

I have two dogs. One of them is a Border Collie mix and she stalks my chickens. I have had to pull one out of her mouth when she busted through the run to get at my babies. The second dog is a big baby and thinks he is their father. He loves being around the chickens. BUT, if my other dog is around, he will join in the chase. As long as she isn't around he is fine with the chickens.

I think it all depends on the dog. I have yet to find any way to get my one dog to be around them without harming them.

Attached Files:

3. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I have 1 dog, normally he's great with the flock BUT he still has to be watched. Before we got him ( last July) he was known to attach chickens and the previous owner was obusive with him. Once we got him, we started with all the basic commands and one of the most important ones "Leave it". We're still working on "stay" lol so if he looks like he might nip at a chicken I tell him to "leave it" in a stern voice , he obeys then comes to stand by me. The bag thing though is , he only listens to me. He has to be chained when he is out with the kids because he'll just run. We dont have any neighbors or neighbor dogs to worry about, our biggest threat is Hawks.

[​IMG]

4. Shalva

Shalva New Member

We have 9 dogs here ... 5 goldens, 3 flat coats and an Irish Wolfhound... I am hoping that they will get used to chickens...and that they will all be able to free range together but I know that is going to take time lots of supervision and lots of "HEY.... LEAVE THAT CHICKEN" I am hopeful... perhaps a bit delusional as well

[​IMG]

5. Shalva

Shalva New Member

Berta I love your first picture... the expression on the chickens face is wonderful....

6. rob

rob New Member

fantastic photos. :)

7. JackAubrey

JackAubrey New Member

We have been "blessed" with an idiot dog. In fairness, she is only about 7 months old, but still. She hasn't impressed me yet. She's a good watch dog, as long as she doesn't knock you down while she's running away barking...courage.
    I thought about using arrow blunts, but it might break a bone...then I'd have to pay a vet bill. I toyed with the idea of a taser gun...that would be fun, I mean, instructive. Pepper spray is more cost effective. Let's see if this dog can learn. JA

Attached Files:

8. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Shock collars work wonders also and their cheaper ;)

9. rob

rob New Member

tazers are illegal over here :(

10. Berta

Berta New Member

Arrrow blunts and a taser? I seriously hope you are kidding. Invest in a few obedience lessons and humanely train your pup properly.

11. Berta

Berta New Member

LOL I know, I love this picture!

12. UncleJoe

UncleJoe New Member

We have 7 dogs. The Border Collie, 2 Blue Heeler, and 2 Jack Russell are all very good with the chickens. When we had a flock of banty's in the fenced yard one of the JR's used to play, what we called, "bowling for chickens." When they were all gathered together in a tight group, "Skipper" would race through them just to watch them scatter.

Then there are the 2 Portuguese Podango's. Given a chance either one will kill a chicken.

13. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Portuguese Podango ~ now they soung interesting ... I've never heard of them before... (had to do a search lol)

14. UncleJoe

UncleJoe New Member

I'd never heard of them untill one showed up at the house a couple years ago. (DS)

15. jjwilson72000

jjwilson72000 New Member

One of my dogs is a fox terrier/basset hound mix who after 4 years with chickens is finally leaving them alone. He is quite the vermin dog and has a very high predatory instinct, despite the training.
    He has probably only killed 5-8 altogether, but even 1 is too many.
    I spent a lot of time taking the dog in the chicken run with the chickens and playing with him inside the run so he would learn to ignore them. At one point I made him lay down and threw corn all around him so the chickens came feeding and wouldn't let him up. I also grabbed a chicken and "pet" him with it quite a few times to get him to understand they were not for food or fun. It worked eventually. The dog and the rooster still occasionally square off over kitchen scraps but the dog generally gives in and never bites at the rooster. He has also learned to find eggs the chickens lay while free ranging and take them off and eat them.

16. JackAubrey

JackAubrey New Member

HA,ha! Oh, absolutely, I was joking! I just have a dark sense of humour. No, I wouldn't treat a dog cruelly, never.

That shock collar might work. I don't know that I have the time , or money for classes for a dog. JA

17. ziggiejones

ziggiejones New Member

I am sorry your dog is an idiot but hurting her will only make her worse instead of better. I really think time and instruction my do the trick. Even stupid dogs can learn.:eek:

18. UncleJoe

UncleJoe New Member

I don't know. Our one JR has a thing for teasing one of the cats. No matter how many times he gets his nose swatted with those sharp claws he just keeps going back for more. :rolleyes:

19. JackAubrey

JackAubrey New Member

People, IT WAS SAID IN JEST! The dog is an idiot, true enough. The dogs I have had were Shutzhund trained DDR German Shepherds, that's what I'm used to dealing with. JA

Attached Files:

20. Shalva

Shalva New Member

I think the issue is that not everyone knows you and all it takes is a quick scour of the news and you will see countless examples of animal cruelty... I am glad it was only in jest, with this being a relatively new forum, not everyone knows each other well enough yet to know if they are kidding or not...

that having been said... I took some pictures of my growing chickens and one of my flat coats today... so getting us back on track... I think I will share them here.... poor Rita and lois look a bit ratty because Meir (the dog, mayear) was licking them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]