Chicken nipples

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by FlaCummins, Aug 21, 2012.

1. FlaCummins

FlaCummins New Member

Is anyone currently using chicken nipples for watering? Did you take away the other watering method immediately or leave both in coop for awhile? Mine don't seem to understand it. I've tried using a stick and my fingers to show them but they seem to think water comes from my fingers or sticks.

2. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

That is just funny, they think the water comes from a stick or your fingers!! They just aren't too bright, are they? I had a roo with a crossed beak and I tried to teach him to use a water nipple, and I gave up. I did keep the other waterer in the coop, and the nipple dripped in the shavings, too. He learned to adapt with the regular one.

3. FlaCummins

FlaCummins New Member

Yeah if I press the nipple with a stick they continue to look at the stick when I pull it away. Maybe they'll figure it out.

4. kc7lub

kc7lub New Member

They eventually figure it out but I do keep both in the coop

5. Shanebaby

Shanebaby New Member

I switched to nipples on the bottom of a bucket and took their other water bowl out. I used my finger to show them the water and they caught on pretty quick.

6. tinamae

tinamae New Member

Chicken nipples!

I use Chicken nipples and when I introduced them I did take out the other water source and it took 31 minutes for the first chicken to figure it out! They are awesome! Clean water, large bucket filled and hung on the outside, hose and PVC it works great!:D

7. nxb161

nxb161 New Member

I saw these "chicken nipples" in some videos, and thought if the chickens used them that would be a great way to keep the water clean and less mess. So I'm gonna try to revitalize this older thread and see if anyone has anymore to add.

8. Jim

Jim New Member

I use them, and even have had week old chicks using them. To me, the only thing I don't like is that when it rains, the chicks love to drink the water puddles, that have dirt and poo in it. That worries me, but seems ok with the chicks. I love how clean the water stays and I have two 5 gal buckets as reservoirs, and I ran a line into each of my 3 coops, coming from each bucket, this way there is backup. In the spring, I plan to work on a new trough design that will self clean, just need to add some money to the "chicken kitty" to build my idea.

9. nxb161

nxb161 New Member

10. Jim

Jim New Member

I don't think mine come apart, but the ones I got that I liked best came from Q C Supply. They are the red ones, I get an occasional leak, but they don't drip for the most part. I had some cheaper ones, and they did leak.

11. ChickensSayMoo

ChickensSayMoo Junior Member

I use the chicken nipples & the little cups also. They use both, but seem to prefer the cups.
    When I first introduced the chicken nipples, I didnt tighten them too tight, just enough so they would drip just a little bit.
    Then once the chickens had all worked it out, I tightened them up. It didnt take long for them to work it out.

12. PouletdePouf

PouletdePouf Hangin' with my Peeps

I was doing research on these. Thanks to all contributors! :) I'm going to try them.