Chicken Hawk

Discussion in 'Chick Raising Forum' started by lititzchic, Aug 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. lititzchic

lititzchic New Member

I was sitting on my patio and just witnessed a chicken hawk attempt to snatch one of my girls!!!

Any suggestions on keeping these predators away?

#scary
    #poorgirls

2. Itsacutefuzzball

Itsacutefuzzball New Member

Did you save her?

3. Bee

Bee New Member

Just the normal tips on free ranging with the right things in place....

4. lititzchic

lititzchic New Member

Thanks! It's the first time I have ever seen this right in front of me! It didn't get any of my girls but scared us all!!!!

5. hennypenny68

hennypenny68 New Member

I have a sling shot and I'm getting pretty good at using it its pretty accurate.

6. lititzchic

lititzchic New Member

Love it!!!

7. adorson

adorson New Member

Hawks can be very bold and swoop down right in front of you. When I lived in GA, I had alot of problems with hawks and not alot of cover so I made them "chicken bunkers" they could hide in and placed them around the pasture. I think your best first line of defense is a good roo. My one turken boy, Rambo is the ultimate hawk spotter. He can see them long before I do and gets everyone hidden. Prior to Rambo, I had a silkie boy fight a hawk to save some babies. He did an awesome job at fending him off until I got there. He had a gash on his back but recovered well. He is now known as Henry the hawk fighter! Just be alert, it will be back!

8. lititzchic

lititzchic New Member

Thanks! I just got a Roo named Cosmo. He had most of the girls hidden but not all and i dont recall if it was before or after the attack. Thankfully I didn't lose any!

image-248026224.jpg

It all happened so fast!

9. adorson

adorson New Member

Awesome looking boy! If he is new to the girls, it might take a bit for the girls to know when he alerts, he means business. I know when I moved to Georgia, my flock was not used to having to worry about predators prior to that and it took them a bit but they did learn to run for cover. Now when one of the boys makes that alert call. They run immediately for cover. You look around and it is like you don't own a chicken because you can't see one anywhere! Sometimes it is only because a butterfly is fluttering by but I guess it doesn't hurt to have practice drills. LOL

10. lititzchic

lititzchic New Member

Thanks!!! I think he's pretty awesome. I am hoping the girls will listen to the boss man. Haha
    Ironically right before this happened about 100 blackbirds swooped from the trees and were in our yard. I wonder if that was due to the hawk arriving. It was all very strange!

11. adorson

adorson New Member

Yes, it could have very well been because of the hawk. I have seen starlings chase hawks off many times and the one time, I believe the hawk might have gotten one of their babies because this mass of starlings were chasing the hawk, the hawk went to the ground, they all swooped down on the hawk but the hawk did fly back up and off. I didn't see it carrying anything anymore so it must have dropped whatever it had. Crows will also alert when a hawk is nearby and help to chase them off too. Now Ravens are a different story, they are bigger than the crows and will go after young chickens.

12. poultrylover99

poultrylover99 New Member

Today a hawk swooped down and had my bantam rooster pinned down! Luckily he is fine! I was so worried! We had to get it off of him!

13. lititzchic

lititzchic New Member

Oh my gosh I am so sorry to hear this!!! This is what I am afraid of!! Yesterday I was out planting bushes and kept seeing these two shadows. It was two hawks flying overhead I guess scoping out the chickens! Ugh I think I need to invest in a slingshot!!

14. poultrylover99

Yes , it is so scary how fast they can be taken and gone. He is my favorite little bantam man and I would be devastated if something happened to him. I'm really worried now! I have never had a problem with hawks and lately they have been coming around! I'm so thankful everyone was ok though!

15. Bee

Bee New Member

A good dog in the yard will help. My dog will chase any low flying, large bird and will start raising a ruckus if one even flies into the trees overhead and tries to land. All my dogs were like that. Haven't had a single chicken taken by a hawk in all these years of free ranging.

Our local flock of crows are also quite vigilant and will dive bomb the hawks and chase them out of the territory.

16. poultrylover99

Yes. We have a yellow lab and golden retriever mix and she is very protective of the flock. We also have many crows around. Don't know what happened.

17. lititzchic

lititzchic New Member

I have three yappy little dogs and I'm afraid the hawk would eat them for dessert! Lol

18. jmc0319

jmc0319 New Member

If dogs don't work shotguns do just fine.

19. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Some areas it's illegal to shot them.
    So be careful !