Chicken eggs

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by Kenzie63, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Kenzie63

Kenzie63 New Member

When chickens lay fertilized eggs do they lay a bunch at once or could it just be one?

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

It will be 1 at a time. It takes about 25 hours for a chicken egg to be created and come out.

3. Westelle

Westelle New Member

Wow...I didn't know how many hours...

4. Kenzie63

Kenzie63 New Member

Really? 25 hours? But I thought that some chickens lay twice a day...?

5. Apyl

Apyl New Member

6. Kenzie63

Kenzie63 New Member

Thanks, the reason I asked was because I have a chicken that I think is a male and today in their coop of two chickens I found an egg in the morning and an egg that afternoon. Is it possible for a female chicken that has male traits to lay eggs? Like if it has to much testosterone? I once read that one in every 14,000 deer that are born their is possibly a female that has high testosterone levels and was able to grow antlers and I was wondering if chickens could be the same. Here's the picture of the chicken and maybe you can tell by the way he looks what his gender is. He has an extra toe on each leg so I named him Toad :)

Attached Files:

7. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Does she crow? Looks like a Polish mix female. Do you have a closer pic of the face straight on ?

8. Kenzie63

Kenzie63 New Member

No, and I can take another picture in the morning.

9. Kenzie63

Kenzie63 New Member

But one thing that I have noticed is that he/she has a comb halfway grown and the one that I am positive is a female has not started growing one yet. I got both of them in mid-February.

10. Kenzie63

Kenzie63 New Member

Here's the picture you asked for.

Attached Files:

11. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I'm thinking pullet looking at the face pic. I would think that by almost 6 months old if it were a he it would have larger wattles. Also when girls start laying their combs do grow and pinken up.

12. Kenzie63

Kenzie63 New Member

And is it normal for hens to be aggressive? Because before it started laying it would peck and bite and scratch people. Also, he/she is very friendly and loves to sit on people's shoulders when it's not attacking them.

13. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Yes hens can be aggressive just like roosters can be docile. It just all depends on the bird, how its socialize, and what it perceives as a threat.

14. Westelle

Westelle New Member

What a pretty bird!...