Chick eating bird food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by robopetz, Nov 11, 2012.

1. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Hi all,

Just wanted to be sure if it was safe for our silkie to be eating a little bird food(parakeet). The budgies spill some on the ground from their cage and our silkie eats a little of it. I mean I can stop our silkie but I won't be home all the time to catch her. What y'all think?

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I do not have silkie and it is not parakeet food but mine clean up under the wild bird feeders each day. I heard people say this is a big No No ... but mine have done it all along (20 year) with no problems. (I guess I should say as of yet)

IMO it is not a problem but many a folk differ on this subject.

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I give mine wild bird seed as an occasional treat. One way I can get them back in their house when I need to in a hurry. :p Kind I have has the cracked corn, nuts, etc. in it. I can't see her having the bit of parakeet food as a big deal. Its not like that's her only diet. How's that little bundle of fluff doing? Come up with any possible names yet for the darling?

4. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Okay, I didn't think it would be a big issue either as they are just seeds. I'm sure if a chicken in the wild ran into some they would have ate it right?! Haha

Hi 7chicks, my buff is doing great. I'm I deciding between some names I chose but nothing yet. She loves to sit on my lap and she preens, she lets me help her preen her too. Then she'll fall asleep. One time she fell asleep with her neck stretched all the way out just sleeping like that. It was cute. She is such a cry baby at night though. She doesn't want to be in her brooder and rather be with me sleeping so she cries allot until she realizes I'm not budging. Brat! Lol