Can you put a bantam hen with laying flock

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by DansChickens, Oct 29, 2012.

1. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

Well since I go my sebrights pair the rooster is really mean tried to fight me today but I'm thinking about selling him could I possibly put my banie hen with the laying flock

2. cogburn

cogburn New Member

I have 10-15 Bantys that mix with my 40 layers, 2 coops and in the evening it's a mad dash to the coops until the roosts fill up and then they may switch coops for a night or two, no problems for me.

3. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

Alright I think I'll try I lt

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I was worried about adding a 1 1/2 yr. old sebright hen to my crew of big girls but in 2 days, she was ruling the roost. Sassy little breed! :D Or at least mine is.

5. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

Well mines really nice but the rooster is another story lol yeah the only thing I'm worried about is just adding 1 and if the rooster tries to mate the lil gal uh oh haha but I think I'll try it. And 7chicks do you have more than 1 bantam in your flock ?

6. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

No. Just the one I took in a month or so ago for my cousin. Rest are RIR, Barred Rock, Australorp, Australorp/White Leghorn mix.

7. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

i have all my chickens mixed in together... 25 hens, 3 roosters, 1 3 mo old girl, and 13 6 wk old babies.. everyone gets along just fine..

8. Helens-Hens

Helens-Hens New Member

the best way to introduce a new bird is to put her in the coop after dark when the other chickens are roosting
    every time you add any new bird to a flock there is a bit of pecking and picking on the new ones ,
    this is completely normal and should settle down in a few days or so