Build thread

Discussion in 'Coops, Runs and Housing' started by phishfood, Sep 22, 2012.

1. phishfood

phishfood New Member

I am in the process of converting an old horse stall into a chicken coop for my Mom. She has finally retired, and has been wanting chickens for a couple of years. It will give her something to do, keep her active, and keep her and I connected, so I volunteered to make it happen for her.

Luckily, I work in construction, so I have a lot of tools, and experience using them.

The structure is two ~ 10' x 10' stalls, one of which will be a coop, and the other a feed room.

I will put further details with the pictures. Please be understanding if the details are posted at different times than the pictures, as the pictures are on my phone and are a royal pain to transfer to my desktop, and my phone is a royal pain to type text on.

2. phishfood

phishfood New Member

Well, I can say with certainty that electronics are the most horrid invention in the history of man. I can't get the pictures into a post from my phone. I hate hate hate the information age.

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Sounds like you need better electronics tools.

4. phishfood

phishfood New Member

Or some skill with the ones I have, maybe?

Trying again.

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Phish, is that why you have no ID photo? Seriously, consider a phone upgrade. What are you using? A razor?

6. phishfood

phishfood New Member

Casio Commando.

And the reason I have no avatar photo is that I am too lazy to add one.

7. phishfood

phishfood New Member

OK, emailed the pictures to my desktop, downloaded them, and now I am trying to post them.

First picture is of the laying boxes. I built them as a unit, then put them in the coop.

Attached Files:

8. phishfood

phishfood New Member

Success!!

OK, this is a picture of the people doors into the coop. The bottom door was there, I did a little work to it, moved the latch, added a thresh hold so that I could attach wire to the thresh hold to stop the coons from digging under. And then I built a door for the top.Also in this picture you can see the chicken door on the far side of the coop.

Attached Files:

9. phishfood

phishfood New Member

And now a picture of the roosts and more of the inside.

Attached Files:

10. phishfood

phishfood New Member

A closeup of the chicken ramp to get out.

Attached Files:

11. phishfood

phishfood New Member

And one of the laying boxes in place. I am kind of worried that the chickens will take to roosting on the walkboard in front of the boxes and poop in the boxes. Any thoughts on that?

Attached Files:

12. phishfood

phishfood New Member

Now one of the outside where the run is about to be constructed. The run is an old dog kennel, 21' by 8', just under 6' tall. I am going to put wire over the top of it to keep our resident hawk from getting to any little chicks we might get in the future. See, I told you it was ugly.:eek:

Attached Files:

13. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Okay. Now we're cooking! Well, I like the building and its a great size. You'll be happy you have so much space. And you're fixing it up so it's getting better and better to look at. I think the nesting boxes are fine. What size birds are you thinking you want because that will determine if the perch will work or not. Jersey Giants will likely just hop right over to the box and smaller birds like bantams will not be big enough to poop in the box I would think. I like the little door going out too. It reminds me of a coop we had in our yard when I was a kid. I loved to sit in it. it had big windows that opened out on the bottom about 12 inches, a full sized human door, and a smaller chicken door off to the lower right. Much like yours does. My dad used to paint it to match the house.

I think you're moving along very nicely. I'm sure everyone else will agree now that they can see photos. Horray! :)

14. phishfood

phishfood New Member

My mother has talked with someone who has laying hens, I don't know what breed, that she is planning to buy 6 of to get started. That way she gets egg rewards almost immediately, and wants to raise some chicks up to increase the flock at some point in the future. Should be plenty of room for that. Edit: Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds. She is thinking of getting 3 of each.

I think she wants to get a dual purpose breed when she buys the chicks, so that we get some good meat once they quit laying.

15. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Okay then. You've got a good solid plan.

16. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Very nice Phishfood !! You are well on your way to an awesome transformation and build ! Keep pics coming!!

17. phishfood

phishfood New Member

The posts set and spreaders in place, with rope around the top to hold everything together.

Attached Files:

18. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Moving right along! Nicely done.

19. phishfood

phishfood New Member

The chain link fencing around the run, just needs to be pulled taught at the last corner. I actually got that done tonight, but didn't get a picture.

Attached Files:

20. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I like that even better. (Jealousy here in NJ.). I want one too! >:-( mad face