Broody hen question

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by vickiw, Aug 7, 2012.

1. vickiw

vickiw New Member

Hi everyone! need your knowledgeable input. Had a hen go broody, I have no roo. Tried all the usual tricks to break her brood, nothing worked, it got really hot so I just gave up and let her park in the nest box, dragging her out to eat and poop. Now she is showing signs that maybe she is thinking about giving up. Here's the problem. My friend and neighbor has a crazy duck sitting on hen eggs. If I slip these under my hen, do you think she will sit them to hatch even tho she has already been "brooding" for nearly a month?

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Oh gosh, a whole month of brooding? My Australorp went broody starting last Friday that I really noticed the strange behavior. Nothing I've tried has worked either but she's not getting any babies no matter how persistent she is. Momma told her no boyfriends; no babies. She's not listening. =/ I sure hope this doesn't last as long for her as it has been for yours. She's going to drive us all nuts; her siblings included! :p

3. adorson

adorson New Member

You can try it and see. I have had some go longer! I named my one girl Determination, Termie for short because she wanted to be a mom so badly and it seemed her eggs would break. She sat for about 2 months and wasn't giving up until she finally hatched 2 chicks.

4. vickiw

vickiw New Member

Here we go! put the eggs in the new "broody" nest & shoved her in the cage. She gave me a quick look like "are these really for me?" then jumped in and snuggled them under her and went right into the "broody trance".

5. adorson

adorson New Member

WOOT! You will have to keep us posted! I had a feeling she would be a happy camper with some eggs to hatch!

6. vickiw

vickiw New Member

Ok, so, candled the easter egger egg and it was clearly not fertile, darn. The other 4 were so dark brown I couldn't candle with my little flashlight so since I have no way of knowing if my neighbor's crazy muskovy duck was even keeping them warm enough to hatch, I just grabbed one and cracked it. Wouldn't you know it? a viable chick as much as 16 days (or more) old! :eek: Oh well, at least now I know the remaining 3 may have a chance. should have an answer pretty soon!!!

7. rob

rob New Member

keep us posted

8. vickiw

vickiw New Member

Happy Monday all! :cool: Still watching. She hadn't moved since she parked on the eggs so I made her go out for a little bit this morning while I lined the nest with a soft cloth (she hadn't). Problem is she's a hatchery hen that's supposed to have all her 'momma" instincts bred out so she just doesn't know what to do. Hope some of her "momma" baby instincts are still left so, if miracles happen and the last 3 hatch, I don't have to brood the chicks. Another report at the end of the week, unless something happens sooner :D

9. TajMaCluckCoop

TajMaCluckCoop Not so Junior-Junior Member

My hatchery cochin went broody and was an amazing mom! Hope yours will be too. Let us know!!

10. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Awww what a sweet hen you have vickiw! Its funny just how many expressions chickens really do have. You can read them as well as any other animal if given the time & attention. Good luck with your soon to be new little hatchlings! How exciting! :)

11. adorson

adorson New Member

I bet she will do fine! My biggest surprise broody was a hatchery brown leghorn! Not a broody breed at all but she is the best Momma and so is her daughter now. These 2 are the most likely ones to take in a chick that needs a Momma no matter what age the chick is! Actually the daughter still allows her 4 month old chick to sleep under and it is about as big as she is now. LOL

12. vickiw

vickiw New Member

I'M A CHICKIE GRAMMA! came home yesterday and planned on making Broody Butt go out and stretch and eat and discovered she is now a Broody Momma! Went in to kick her out and A little yellow and still wet head popped out from under her!!!Only 1 completed the hatch. First 1 died trying to pip out (looked like it was first to try but I didn't catch it) It broke threw but that was it. The last one never made it that far. No movement at all in the egg today when I checked. I guess after they had been first set on by a duck, then run across our field in a kitchen towel and then shoved under a first time broody hen it's a miracle even one hatched :rolleyes: Had to make the call on the last one for the sake of the chick because mom wasn't going to let it out from under her til the last one hatched (like she should) It had already been well over 24 hours since she hatched out (hoping it's a she) and there was no movement inside the shell, so I had to make the hard call. Now I have to watch mom close to make sure she starts letting the chick drink and feed. Being a battery hen she had no one to teach her how to be a mom. I don't want to intervene and brood the chick if there is any chance she can do the job because it is clear she has bonded with it, but I will if it becomes necessary for the chick's survival. Just have to watch close and wait. Keep you posted!

13. adorson

adorson New Member

Yay! Congrats!!! The Momma's do usually sit tight for a day or so after they start hatching especially if other eggs are still under her. The chick should be fine! As a just in case, I will put a little moistened chick food in the nest with them so it is close by the day after hatch. I didn't realize she was a battery hen! That is even more awesome!! We will need pics!!

14. trey1432

trey1432 New Member

I'm glad I found this, one of the babies went broody - no rooster - so nothing but a fried egg will come out of that egg. Learning experience for me, she has hidden eggs a couple of times, but I think she is getting out of this way of thinking.

15. vickiw

vickiw New Member

Obnoxious chickie gramma here :D My broody is turning into a great momma! whew! Removing the last egg seems to have done the trick. When I checked them this morning the chick was out from under mom (but only inches) getting a little drink. Later, I watched mom breaking up kibble for it. This afternoon she came out and l let her and the chick have run of the coop for a bit while the other ladies were chasing bugs in the garden. She even let me "babysit" for a couple minutes while she went out in the run for a quick dust bath. Soon as I put the chick back in the nest and she heard it cry back in she came! This evening I gave mom a piece of sweet corn left from dinner and she immediately started picking off pieces to share, so cute! By the way, the chick's name is now "Noodle". (My hens are called Crockpot, Fricassee, Stirfry and Soup so the chick is Noodle :D ) Tried to get pics this evening but Mom gave me the "stink eye" to let me know she and Noodle were tired now so I will snap some tomorrow and post.

16. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

How precious! I can just picture her from the way you did such a wonderful job describing. Can't wait to see pics. :D

17. omg3kids

omg3kids New Member

Wow! Great thread. Can't wait for pics. I love the names of your chickens as well. ;)

18. vickiw

vickiw New Member

View attachment 546
    brand new baby peeking out from under mom

View attachment 547
    mom and baby out for a little sun. Mom is dust bathing and Noodle is getting caught in the "crossfire" making it hard for you to tell it's spots (on it's head and back) from the dirt flying!

don't know why the pics showed up as attachments instead of showing in post, :mad:

19. adorson

adorson New Member

ACCCKKKK! I can't see them! It says it is an invalid attachment.

20. vickiw

vickiw New Member

I can bring them up. ?????? But still don't know why they don't just post.
    I followed what it said to do in the help. Or so I thought. anyone else tried to post and had success? If yes, how did you do it?