Broody girl, need help with questions

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by tigereyesblue76, Dec 2, 2012.

1. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

Hi just have a question, I have a very broody RIR hen who is displaying herself to a very eager RIR rooster. She has been sitting in her box, hissing and "barking" at me and I have been taking the eggs out from under her, they are fertile as I have noticed the white dot in the yolk. I actually have to pick her out of the box to drink and eat. My question is, is it cruel or harmful in anyway to stop a broody hen from doing what is natural? And by me stopping her from hatching chicks will this effect her later on if when the time is right to breed. Please any replay will be much appreciated.

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I had to stop my Australorp this summer. No roo here so I didn't have to worry about chicks. She was just simply miserable and wouldn't come out to eat/drink either. I had to block her from the nest boxes for about a week before she lost interest. She was the only one who has ever gone broody on me. Removing her from the nest boxes won't change her being broody again. Its a hormone thing. You can discourage her if you want to. If now is not a good time, then its not a good time. :)

3. Tina

Tina New Member

Hello - One of my Jersey Black Giants went broody about a month ago. I had all the same questions you do, and I even was taking her off the nest everyday, and taking her egg. Finally, she sat on the nest for about a week with no eggs. One morning I was going to take her off the nest again, only to notice other hens layed eggs in her nest so now she was sitting on 5. I decided to leave them there for her, kinda made me feel bad, she was so broody but had no eggs.
    Yesterday morning - Dec 1 - I found a baby chick in with her, the other 3 eggs, (if fertile) should hatch in a couple of days. I have seen her off the nest to drink and eat, I was worried she would stay in the nest and starve, but they dont, she comes out, I dont always see her, but they do go eat and drink. Her nest is inside the hen house, so I will leave her to her babies and let her raise them, the hen house is warm, and time will tell if the new babies will make the winter, and if momma is a good momma.
    I was super excited to find the chick since this is my first year with chickens, and I must say - I truly enjoy my flock! Chickens are a super neat bird!! Love em..

Attached Files:

4. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

Thank you for your help, it has eased my mind. I have never had a broody hen before and I must admit it is very amusing the way they act and strut around with the rooster. They put on a great performance I must say. But thanks again for your replys.

5. piglett

piglett Senior Member

hens have been going broody from the very 1st time there were hens.
    many chicks have been hatched with winter comming on
    i would put her in an area so she could do her thing for you
    (a dog crate works great)
    a heatlamp in the garage or corner of the shed could be added if you really think you need it,
    i think you should let her have at it
    she will keep any chicks that hatch out plenty warm
    that is what she is designed to do

good luck
    piglett

6. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

If you want chicks ... leave her be.

If you don't want chicks at this time ... give her a "time out". Place her in a cage with food & water but no nest box. After a few days try putting her back with the others. (I have one hen that needs a few "time outs" a year.

7. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

Thank you guys, here in Australia at the moment, is in the summer months so it is very hot, must be good broody weather as my polish bantam girl, wants a bit of my RIR roos attention.. Much to the dislike of my other broody hen... Must be something in the air lol.

8. TheLazyL

TheLazyL Member

I've got a BO that's been broody for almost 2 weeks.

I've been picking her up off the nest to gather the eggs. Hoping she'll give up on her own...

9. piglett

piglett Senior Member

broody hens are your friend :)

10. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

I just love how they fluff themselves up, I can't stop giving her cuddles...

11. lovehateroo

lovehateroo New Member

I've got 4 BOs broody and found 2 chicks alone in the yard today and set tgem up in the brooder. If they've started hatching I'll give them a few more days then I'm going to "debroody" them. I used to take my australorps and stand them in a bucket of cold water up to their butts for a few minutes. Cooled that rear off and they weren't broody for a while.

12. patlet

patlet New Member

As I dislike ordering birds, I usually let a broody hen sit. I move her and her eggs to a large cage, give her access to food and water and tah dah! Peedapeeps appear. I have one now sitting. She's on a dozen eggs and even though it's getting below freezing, her water doesn't freeze so I am hopeful for her hatch. We should have peedapeeps around Christmas! Yay for Christmas babies!