Bright red bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by kiwicsi, Oct 8, 2012.

1. kiwicsi

kiwicsi Junior Member

One of my hens has a red bum (particularly under the vent). Her bottom is also bald. She's an ex battery and it has only been two days since her liberation. Is this anything I should be concerned about?

[​IMG]

2. cogburn

cogburn New Member

It's more than likely ammonia burnt (irritated) from unsanitary conditions, dirty litter/shavings. If she came from a big chicken operation, I hate to think what they go thru... But keep it clean and dry, you can powder her butt, it will get better. Also, they are exposed to just about each and every sickness/virus/disease available, just keep an eye and ear on them, closely.

3. redmaples

redmaples Junior Member

Honestly it doesn't look too bad. especially what she probably just went through for the past few years. one thing you could probably do just wash it with a very mid soap like Dove sensative no additive stuff and rinse very well with warm water be careful near the vent with the soap. It has alot of cream in it and won't cause any extra irratation. The other hens will be drawn to it and could peck at it as well. but once she moults again it will grow back and be fine!!! Don't fuss over it too much. chickens ar pretty hardy.

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Johnson's baby shampoo. Cocoa butter

5. redmaples

redmaples Junior Member

yes johnson baby shampoo good one!!!

6. kiwicsi

kiwicsi Junior Member

Thanks. I spoke with the vet on the phone yesterday and she said just to keep an eye on it and to make sure it wasn't lice. Couldn't see any lice eggs there, so that's good. I have notice the hens pecking gently at one another - perhaps they're starting to sort out their pecking order.

7. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

It'll take a fews for them to work out their new arrangment. I've been discovering that the more often I have upset the pecking order by introducing a newbie, the more sooner my older girls transition and are more receptive. Hey, excuse # 2 for me to take in that Ameraucana I was offered the other day! :D