Breed/ gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed/Gender is This?' started by ba13, Nov 18, 2012.

1. ba13

ba13 New Member

I've been on a bad string of roosters lately. The guy who sold me these two swore they're hens, and gave it to me in writing this time. Anyway, I'm starting to get gun shy here, what do you think?

ForumRunner_20121118_065938.jpg

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Those are two lovely ladies. :) Buff Orphington and the other a New Hampshire Red?

3. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Dollfaces!!!!!:D

4. patlet

patlet New Member

Ladies...and the one in back is a RIR. Lovely ladies.

5. ba13

ba13 New Member

Thanks for the reassurance . Now we're having social issues. I already had an australorp . She doesn't seem to mind the brown one, but wants nothing to do with the other one. If she gets too close, she picks at her and chases her off. The golden one won't even come near her, and you can see she's pretty stressed. Is this something that will go away with time, or should I nip this in the bud?

6. patlet

patlet New Member

Three hens equals one third wheel. Sounds like your Blondie is the third wheel. As long as she can avoid the alpha hen, she should be okay but lonely. If both top hens start in on her though, that's time to separate for protection. Ironically, if you get more youngsters, Blondie will harass the newbies like Blondie is harassing her.

7. ba13

ba13 New Member

Any truth to this rumor I've heard that putting a stuffed animal in the coop will refocus their attention?

8. patlet

patlet New Member

Never heard that one! Have you had any success with it?

9. ba13

ba13 New Member

Haven't tried yet. Forgot to mention, its only been about 48 hours, could this whole thing just blow over in a few days maybe?