Blue copper marans

Discussion in 'What Breed/Gender is This?' started by sideways, Sep 30, 2012.

1. sideways

sideways New Member

I have 3 blue copper marans chicks.
    All a week old. Two have much long wing feathers and tail feathers with the other having no tail feathers and much shorter wing feathers.
    Would I be right in thinking that I have two hens and one cockerel?
    Thanks

2. eldfort

eldfort New Member

Oh my goodness, my copper maran is going on 4 months old and I really didn't know until about a month ago. I still keep comparing her with pictures online and praying I'm gonna get me some eggs! Good luck with that! I supposedly bought 7 hens and 1 rooster from a guy who could
    "sex' them and ended up with 5 roos and 3 hens. You just never know!

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Lol. I'm sorry but that's just funny eldfort. It is so hard to tell with certain breeds until they are older. Doesn't help when it takes awhile for the spurs to start growing too so you can't even use that to tell.

4. muranofarms

muranofarms New Member

You probably have 2 girls and a boy, but I would be able to tell better with pictures.

5. cogburn

cogburn New Member

I'm going 2 & 1 the other way.

6. sideways

sideways New Member

Really cogburn!!!
    Hmm I'm hoping for two hens! Cross fingers

7. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Just going by description, I'm with cogburn. Can you post a picture? Much easier to figure out then.

8. sideways

sideways New Member

I'm away at the moment so they are staying with the grandparents!!
    I'll post a picture in a couple of weeks... Actually as they have become a little older the two with long wings and long tails are much bigger than the one without!
    I thought that females had longer wing feathers and tails when they were little.... Maybe that was just wishful thinking....
    My cuckoo maran has no tail feathers and short wings and I'm almost positive that he is a cockerel!
    Confused.com!!

9. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Muranofarms knows their stuff when it comes to this. We'll just go with their thoughts. :)