Big crow scared me today.

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by BootedBantam, Sep 17, 2012.

1. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

Hanging outside with the chickens getting my chicken time in and I hear Outlaw making sounds, a big shadow of a bird cast over my backyard, he was down low. Roo huddled the girls, and then the Big Fat Healthy Black Shiney Crow sat on the telephone pole and was checking things out. I grabbed the hens, and stared the crow down he sat and just stared me down...Predator..., so i put gang in coop and let dogs out!

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Are crows predators? My understanding is they're like the police force of wild birds. Would a crow eat a chick?

3. cogburn

cogburn New Member

I would say yes, they are opportunistic feeders, I have seen crows chase down an injured squirrel, and pick him apart still alive. I would scare them away when you encounter one, maybe keep a bb-gun by the coop, I clap my hands really loud a couple times, and they fly away. You really don't want any wild birds around your chickens, they are carriers of bad stuff, you never know what they may have on board. Disease/Parasite wise..

4. BootedBantam

That bird looked like he never missed a meal. I am glad I was there when it happened. I do like the bb gun idea. He was calling out to other crows, noise stopped when dogs came out.

5. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I love my crows ... :D

It is true they will eat whatever is available but I would not worry much about young chickens. (To much work)

They are very intelligent creatures and they live in family groups. I welcome them to my bird feeder any time they wish. (Or they can help themselves to all the grasshoppers they want.)

6. adorson

adorson New Member

In early spring I did have a crow take a youngster. It seems here there are crows that belong and others don't. They do not bother the chickens anymore and actually help to keep hawks away. It does seem the chickens know who is OK and who isn't because I have seem both hens & roo's chase some away while letting the others alone.

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

That is fascinating that they know individuals. Good cops, bad cops. Hmmm.

8. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Well ... Something has changed.

This is the second report of a crow going after a young chicken in the past few days. It has me wordering what has changed... in the world of the crow.

Now you got me a thinking.

9. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I have to agree Sundancers. I'm as surprised as you are and wondering the same thing. And I heard about those dolphin rape caves and I just don't know what to think anymore.

10. BootedBantam

Maybe they don't like GMO corn fields lol

I see him as a predator and he is not welcome at my home!!

11. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Maybe the GMO corn fields are what is perverting these animals. That I could easily believe. For the same reason I don't want to eat that crap. The Birds!! Hitchcock! It's starting!!!!

12. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member

Is it possible that the birds that killed your younger chickens were ravens? Ravens are larger than crows. They are (on average) about the size of a hawk, where crows are approximately the size of a pigeon.

Many people use the terms 'raven' and 'crow' interchangeably, but they are actually quite different. Technically, since ravens belong to the crow (corvus) family of birds, they can be called crows - but not all crows are ravens. The two differ in a variety of ways.

13. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Valid point Tinyhouse. And hard to know unless you are looking specifically for those differences. What you see and what you think you see could be very different things.

14. adorson

adorson New Member

You do have a point because I do not know the difference. I did not have to deal with crows or ravens until I had moved to georgia almost a year ago. I just assumed all were crows but now that you mention that, some of what I have seen are huge compared to the others. I had just assumed some were adults and the smaller ones were juveniles. Are Ravens more likely to go after juvenile chickens versus crows?

15. rob

rob New Member

there are many crows that frequent my back garden, along with magpies and rooks, there is also a sparrow hawk who sits on the chimney opposite.
    the magpies take a great interest in the chickens but the chickens always win the bravado contest.
    the crows dont even bother with the chickens.

16. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Carighttoknow.org has an article about massive tumors produced in rats from eating Monsanto's GMO corn. just thought is post an FYI.

17. BootedBantam

18. Tony-O

Tony-O New Member

Years ago I had a bad problem with hawks and owls. One spring a pair of crows moved close in. No more hawk problem. They hatched and took their family with them when they went south (or somewhere) for the winter. Then the hawks were back. Not as many owls though. Next spring the family was back. No more hawks and very few owls. This continued for several years till some started eating some fancy goose eggs. I got angry and chased them away and I was sorry I did. My other problems began to re-appear. I couldn't get them to come back for several years after that and lost many birds to them hawks. I started putting eggs out in plain site to attract the crows again. It worked and it's well worth a few eggs to keep the crows around to patrole the skys.

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

See. They're like the police officers of the skies. :)

20. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Ever notice no other birds will eat a dead crow?