Bee keeping

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BootedBantam, Sep 13, 2012.

1. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

2. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member

Cool - thanks! I'm thinking about bees in the future.

Remember what I said (just a few minutes ago....... ) about not having to take a class in order to learn about keeping worms? That doesn't apply to bees. It's ALWAYS a good idea to take a real "Beekeeping" class.

I'm going to start attending the closest beekeeping associations monthly meetings (tomorrow night in fact) - those are free I think, but even if I need to become a member, the dues are something like $15-$25 a year. I'll worry about the actual class later on.

3. BootedBantam

P.Allen Smith is doing a good video series on bees. google him.

4. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

We will be adding a bee hive or two come spring. (again)

It is a little on the scary side when you only see 2 honey bees all summer long. The last two hives were trashed by a mother bear and her two cubs. (sigh) So we are working on a fenced bee lot. LOL

5. BootedBantam

Local honey is good for people who suffer from allergies or sinuses. I was told to stay with local honey within a 50 mile range. Something to do with the bees and local plants that cause the allergies. I suffer less from allergies since eating local honey daily, a teaspoon. I am fascinated by the bees, but no hive here!! Good luck with the bees!!

6. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Honey is great for allergies, cough and sore throats... (etc) And you are right you need local honey. :)

And like you I take a teaspoon each morning.

7. BootedBantam

Here are bees on my sunflowers

Attached Files:

8. BootedBantam

more bee photos

Attached Files:

9. rkendrick

rkendrick New Member

Thanks for the link. My husband wants to keep bees when he retires...which is pretty soon now.:D