Bacon Greese??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by Mamachickof14, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

I use to mix bird seed with left over bacon greese and put it in the freezer to harden then put it in pine cones to feed the birds...they loved it...how about chickens? Would it hurt them or would they like it too? Hate to waste anything...just looking for ways to use it! Jen:)

2. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

I would think that bacon grease would not be good for the chickens because of the high fat content, and because of the predators that it would attract. Just my thinking, though.

3. Chickadee

Chickadee New Member

Chickens can have a little fat, but I would be concerned about the sodium content, too. I found this on a university website: "Most chickens need between 0.12% to 0.2% sodium in the diet." I think giving them bacon fat would risk going over that amount.

There are lots of uses for bacon grease. I read an article in Saveur (kind of like Bon Apetit) magazine about using it in cooking.

4. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Thanks!! Guess they won't be eating bacon grease! Jen :)

5. patlet

patlet New Member

Like all foods, how much vs how often. Bacon grease is ok if it's rarely and not much per bird. When I have a thirty birds or more flock, I feel fine giving them Sunday's leftover bacon grease but I only have bacon once every two months. Variation of the diet is eggcellent. Fat is great for winter. Green, leafies, proteins and nutrients with pure fat ( suet) is a good way to prepare for snowy winters.

6. Nm156

Nm156 Active Member

7. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

If I'm not keeping the bacon grease,I tear bread up in it for my chickens, too.I eat it in wilted spinach salad,biscuits and gravy,hubby fries pancakes in it(yuck!),so I don't think a little now and then will hurt the chickens.They LOVE it!

8. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

Hi Patlet!

I think bacon fat is fine but not given frequently. But giving a mix of other foods is good too.