Attacked

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by BarredRock123, Sep 30, 2012.

1. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

My silver spangled hamburg got attacked by my neighbor's golden retriever. He legs, wings and everything else seem to be fine, but I'm worried about her feathers. She has lost a bit of them, but was bleeding. Should I just leave her alone? Or do Something?

2. amandahalterman

amandahalterman Junior Member

My chicken got attacked today too, by my sisters Norwegian elk hound, she is also ok, but is missing a bunch of feathers, once I noticed she was ok, I just left her alone, I would just go by ur gut feeling, if she looks hurt, and acts hurt then I would get involved

3. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

Thanks! It would be normal for the hen to just, how should I say it... Relax after the attack, right?

4. oakwood

oakwood New Member

Always look for puntures wounds after being attacked under the feathers , if you do not find them the wounds will become infected and your chicken will died .
    Prey species ie, chickens are very good at hiding that they are hurt or sick .

5. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Give her a good looking over and treat with a topical antibacterial ...(blu cote or wonder dust) Then send the neighbors a note/bill. If the dog has done it once, I'm sorry to say it will be back.

Best of luck ...

6. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Yes, great advice. And the note first time, 2nd time it's face to face no holds barred, unless I catch the dog in the act, (either time 1st, 2nd, etc) in that case he won't make it home. And then I'd call it even..

7. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

Quick update, the little hamburg is okay I guess but her leg, she would sometimes stand on one leg and the other would shake.

8. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

But no limping...

9. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Give her some electrolytes, or gatorade, to help with the stress. Lots of TLC, and watch her closely. And if she is raw or bloody, then use the Blue Kote on her to keep the others from pecking her.

10. troub

troub New Member

mine was too

my Delaware was attacked last year by a fox. after I ran off the fox, I saw he had pulled a large amount of feathers out of her back and she had a cut on her back. ? was from the fox or from the feathers being pulled out. I dabbed the cut with 1/2 strength hydrogen peroxide (1/2 water, 1/2 hydrogen peroxide so it isn't too harsh and drying on the skin) and watched it to be sure it didn't get infected. I also kept her away from the other chickens for a day or two to be sure they didn't peck at her. She is the leader of the pack now. all feathers grew back and she is as good as new. Now she acts like the boss and they all follow her around!