At what age?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Happeesupermom, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Happeesupermom

Happeesupermom Happee ChickenSuperMomma

I have 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 2 RIRs, 2 Speckled Sussex, 1 oriental crested & 4 production reds. They're all about 16 weeks old. At what age can I expect to see them begin to lay? Also, we live in the southernmost part of Texas, so winter is short & mild.

2. kaax

kaax Junior Member

That's a tough question. Depends on their condition and breed. They could start laying just about any day now, although 16 weeks is a little early. This time of year could delay them because of the lack of daylight. So i guess the easy answer would be anytime between tomorrow and April. ;)
    But I'll hazard a guess, and say in my experience sometime between 10-12 weeks from now.

Kaax

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

My RIR were about 6 months old when they started laying.

4. rob

rob New Member

mine where about 26 weeks old, and my silkie still hasnt started laying and shes about 38 weeks old

5. eqstrnathlete

eqstrnathlete Member

Hens need at least 15 hours of daylight to lay. I have a light on a timer in my coop that comes on at 3 am. All my girls, turkey and ducks included, are laying daily.

6. baskerboo

baskerboo New Member

Kaxx,

You are right about the depends on the breeds thing. We had a red star, and they are expected to lay at about 22 weeks, and she laid at 15.5 weeks!!! She also laid 3 months straight without a break. She was a super chicken . Unfortunately, she was killed by a hawk two years ago. But she has never left the flock in my heart ( yes cheesy I know )