Anyone in a local poultry/chicken club?

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Keith, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

I've never really heard of them before, anyone belong to a local poultry/chicken club?

2. rob

rob New Member

i havent heard of any in my area.

3. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I don't believe there is one. I have educated people about owning chickens though.

4. ChickenAdmin

ChickenAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Never heard of one. Maybe a local co-op?

5. Keith

Keith New Member

6. Marengoite

Marengoite Junior Member

Does 4-H count? About half the kids in our club raise chickens and/or turkeys.

7. Homegirl

Homegirl New Member

We have one here in Asheville, NC, Asheville City Chickens. WE get together once a month, have guest speakers and share info with old and new chickeners alike.

8. viktimh

viktimh New Member

I was just thinking the same thing plus how do I find my local 4h?

9. crossbonesdennis

crossbonesdennis New Member

10. crossbonesdennis

crossbonesdennis New Member

11. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

There was one advertised at the fur & feather swap I go to in Trenary, MI. Never get a chance to check it out though. Too focused on all the animals there to see. I'm like a kid in a candy store with no attention span. :eek: I was never like this until I got my day old baby chicks 2 1/2 yrs ago. After that, I became a chicken nut! :p

12. berniceannab

berniceannab New Member

we dont do 4-H or anything, even tho it is avail here. i do belong to a yahoo group that is fabulous! Mi_Poultry_Lovers. I have learn a LOT from them and gotten a LOT of chickens from them.

13. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

Anybody know where one is in southern Alabama?

14. BigECart

BigECart New Member

I've seen Carter's Legacy Farms post about chicken swaps on their Facebook page. They are in S. Alabama.

15. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I'm a big fan of Carter's Legacy. And I go once a month to their swaps.

16. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

There are a few "local" clubs including 4H for the kids as well as breed clubs that operate local chapters. Here in Ohio we have a number of "local" clubs including some that are focused on "city chickens" and the BEST way to find them is to contact your county 4H extension they can often point you in the right direction! Some breed clubs are putting together local chapters, too. The American Buckeye Club which currently has over 200 members nationwide is trying to form several local chapters. Right now we are focusing on the Pacific Northwest (WA, OR, ID, Northern CA) and the Southeast (VA, NC, SC & FL) and a few other regions around the USA. We are alsways looking for folks who want to breed and raise Buckeyes or who are currently doing so and encourage folks to check out our website or join our facebook group! http://www.facebook.com/groups/126598094076064/

17. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid New Member

I have recently started a group called the Eastern Ohio Poultry Association.

I am looking for more poultry enthusiasts to join so that we can share in this endeavor and encourage people just starting out in this wonderful experience as well as to learn new things together.

Be sure to like the Eastern Ohio Poultry Association for a chance to win a free book!
    https://www.facebook.com/EasternOhioPoultryAssociation

If you would like to become a member of the Eastern Ohio Poultry Association, email me at: easternohiopoultryassociation@gmail.com.

18. toybarons

toybarons I luv Polish & Houdans

Here in Alberta [Canada] there is the Prairie Ornamental Avicultural Organization [POPWA] that not only is a club but also has two regular sales each year [spring and fall.] The sales are really good as the sellers are club members but anyone can go to their sale.

Also in Alberta is the Canadian Heritage Breeds [CHB] which is about heritage livestock. The club has a large poultry group to it. They put on several seminars each year and breed displays all over the province. The club is also puts on the Alberta Provincial poultry show in every year in Novemember.

There is also the North Central Alberta Poultry Association [NCAPA] that is a club that puts on a show every year in February.

I'm a member of the CHB.

19. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

I'd like to hear more about the "benefits" of joining various poultry clubs....I see so many that are charging membership dues of $15 or $20 (some are higher) and they seem to ONLY offer a "quarterly" news letter?!?! The American Buckeye Club does NOT charge any dues, we provide a FREE listing in the Buckeye Breeder Directory, maintain a website/blog with extensive information about the breed and the SoP, maintain a Facebook and Yahoo Group with even more detailed historic information about the breed and give members plenty of opportunity to communicate thru these venues. In addition, the ABC is a member of the American Poultry Association (APA) and attend a number of poultry shows each year plus have an annual meet here in Ohio. What more can poultry clubs do for their members....we are ALWAYS looking for ways to improve!!!

Thanks in advance for any feedback you might have.....

20. Swig

Swig New Member

Any clubs in the Tulsa, OK area?