Pheasants Anybody have any insight to raising pheasants

Discussion in 'Gamebirds' started by ThreeJ, Jul 5, 2012.

1. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

I would like to add some to my barn. Will they fly the coop if they freerange? Will they stick around with the chickens or would ducks be a better choice. I have no experiance with either.

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I would first check with your department of game and find out if you would need a permit to have pheasants ... We needed one in Virginia.

They need to kept in a lot/run with a lot of cover to keep them happy, my husband cut cedar & pine trees to use. After a year and a half we sold the pheasants and went with quail. We keep the quail till it was time to renew the permit and then we had dinner ...

3. abluechipstock

abluechipstock New Member

ringnecks are pretty but a pain to raise, i have red golden pheasants and they are much more pleasant, i keep a trio in with my pigeons and a pair in with my bantams, no problems, they don't like being caught but come when it's feeding time, you must keep them penned up or they will fly the coop, they aren't as cannibalistic as ringnecks

4. Rachael

Rachael New Member

There are wild pheasants who visit my garden everyday... as I can't pen them in they do fly away at night. They seem to be very interested in watching my chickens in their coop.

5. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Thanks for the info. I might wait a bit till I get a better place set up so they don't fly off on me.

6. power

power New Member

There are many different species of pheasants.
    Some are tame and some are wild. It will depend on which species you choose.

7. bsshoncho

bsshoncho New Member

You should pick a more domesticated breed to keep. Wild type stay more or less wild & will roam away. Also, pick if you want roosting type or ground sleepers. I love Goldens, lady Amherst etc, but... My overall favorites are Silver. Much more tame than the others and very beautiful might I add. But, on the other hand... I LOVE waterfowl lol