Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by kg_cg_good, Sep 14, 2012.

1. kg_cg_good

kg_cg_good Junior Member

We have 4 hen that have no feathers on the top of them...this started when our roosters mounted them...we cut the roosters back to one and the poor girls are raw...we thought it was mites...but still raw...when one of the hen went broody..she gained all her feathers...is there any way to prevent this? the hens are healthy otherwise..but the rooster apparently has to get his fun...but my poor girls..lol ...any suggestions?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Separate them. He needs a time out. Or trade him and get another Roo who is gentler to his ladies. Just my thoughts. I couldn't stand to watch that myself.

3. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

That's why we didn't get a *Rooster*! Heard all kinds of horror stories...unless you want little ones?

4. kg_cg_good

kg_cg_good Junior Member

I would hate to separate the Hens from our rooster..for he does watch over them and protect them from flying predators. I do hate to watch it myself and do not want to trade my Gilbert away for anything...He is such a good boy and is really good to the girls other than that. We kept him over the rest of the roosters due to his coloring and temper..believe it or not..LOL

5. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Yes if damaged or missing a bunch of feathers..

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

So maybe a time out for a few weeks?

7. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

One rooster needs at least 5 or 6 hens, keeps them from getting beat up so badly. Maybe seperate them a little bit.

8. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Yes.. You should have a way to isolate and quarantine if you will, when someone gets sick.. Injured.. Or in this case "Romeo rest"... I make some nice wire ones, they are super easy to make. Let me take some pics as a tutorial.?? Anyone interested? They can be collapsible as well as semi permanent depending on size you make it the sky's the limit. They can be put together quickly and taken apart quickly. A couple of tables or sawhorses and 2x4s u can have several to seperate, and make your pairs and trios, for breeding. What I do..

Cogburn

9. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Depending on the size of "Your Operation".. Of course... This one is hanging on the back porch from rafters, Gerty is mire than happy to volunteer, shes 3.5 RIR..I usually keep 6-8 this size and this is permantly secured, but zip ties work really well, for puttin many panels together.. Also a awesome chick crip in the front yard, in a circle no top no bottom let the peeps and bitties scratch.. Any how I'll post some pics and then a list of things needed, readily available at any hardware/home store.

Cogburn

The tool and clips are very cheap, place clip in tool and squeeze, to crimp and roll around the pieces to connect securely and permanently, like I said earlier, zip ties or even small wore works well to secure temporarily.

Up close of latch wire, bent around a broom handle, and put a hook on end, twist to tighten tension.

Attached Files:

10. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Sorry didn't notice it was so dark but it's been cloudy here. Here it is out in light. Sorry again

Attached Files:

11. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

You could look into a chicken apron/saddles ... Some folks call them apron others saddles. Then have patterns on line or you can buy them.

Best of luck.

12. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Ive seen those Sundancers, zebra, hot pink, & screamin dalingo green !!

13. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

The tiger one is cool also. lol

14. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Yes it is....

15. kg_cg_good

kg_cg_good Junior Member

chicken hen saddles

I found and wanted you all to know that I am ordering chicken hen saddles that cover the hens back until feathers grow back. I never knew of such a thing and thought this would do the trick. Hopefully they work!

16. patlet

patlet New Member

"Popular" hens lose the feathers in front of their tail and behind their comb. Keeping a rooster's spurs short and rounded keep the hen from getting bloody. If you separate them , he may be more aggressive when you try to put him back in the flock. Feather picking occurs when the new feathers are still blood filled. There are products to stop picking. We use Rooster Booster. It's purple but it works well to protect emerging feathers. Also, using a red colored light in your coop will cut down picking since chickens can't see blood in red light.

17. kg_cg_good

kg_cg_good Junior Member

Ahhhh...saddles arrived and after a few adjustments with them for fitting...they are working nicely!!! I am noticing all 3 hens are gaining their feathers back and are comfortable with wearing these sporty things..hahaha... they seemed to be a pain at first until they molded into the shape of the hen..but after that...have not had a problem with it flipping up or when our rooster tries to get on top...it stays in place....NIIIICE... Thanks for mentioning them...and yeah yeah...didn't get the zebra or hot pink or wild tropical...LMAO... I just had them make whatever...and I got little flowers and polka dots...HA....

Attached Files:

18. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Cool!

Thanks for posting the picture!

19. cogburn

cogburn New Member

I'm curious as to how well they work. Please keep us posted. All the best

20. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Excellent! Great idea too.