Geese Again the prefix ...

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by Sundancers, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I loved my geese (plain jane grey geese) and the only reason I sold them was because Pa (grand Pa) was moving in and he hated them. :confused: ~ So they had to go.

They was the best watch animal I ever had. The first sight or sound of something out of the norm and they were on it.

I think it is now time to find a few geese again. Not a pair ... but something to let me know, things are not right. :D

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I want a pair of geese to add to my flock. I figured maybe next spring that way I have plenty of time deciding what breed to get and so I can build another coop. So far I really like the American Buff.
    [​IMG]

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

We had toulouse (could have had a little something else mixed in lol) and they were the on critter that I could let free range and not have to worry about.

They were always the first to let me know when something was not right.

4. ChickenAdmin

ChickenAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Why did he dislike them?

5. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

He never gave a reason other than they were mean & nasty ... So I'm not sure, but I know one thing he was not moving in with them here.

6. JackAubrey

JackAubrey New Member

Do geese get on well with chickens? Or vice versa, I suppose! :D JA

7. Jason

Jason New Member

My neighbor has ducks, geese, chickens, and turkeys all cohabitating nicely. They roam free during the day and get locked up at night, all in one coop. They don't seem to have any trouble at all.

8. cathiesue

cathiesue New Member

I'm thinking about Pilgrim geese in the spring. Drake and 3 geese. I have a pretty good set-up for chickens. Not sure they can share the same house? Geese don't roost do they?

9. Westelle

Westelle New Member

No...geese don't roost...I have three Chinese White geese...two peking drakes and two mallard drakes...not sure what sex the geese are yet...but we think one male two females...we have chickens...three hens four roosters....My ducks and geese get along well and one rooster hangs out with them all day...They don't like two of my other roosters...and they don't mind the last rooster...I don't think I would house them together...but I do think you could...but only if the aren't trying to fight for their higher place in the pecking order...We love our geese...they think I am their mama...so much fun...and so talkative....The ducks will follow us to the pond...but only if the geese come...and none have yet ventured in the pond...so we have baby pools up near the house they swim and clean in...anyway...I could talk more about my geese...google them...or friend me and check out some of my photos..lol

10. patlet

patlet New Member

The problem of keeping dry birds ( chickens, turkeys, Guinea hens) with waterfowl is the wetness. Wood floors and water birds are not recommended. Ducks and geese need open water year round to keep their sinuses clean...they tend to splash even when only their heads can get to water. Dry birds need to stay dry. As long as your chickens can keep their feet dry, you can house them together.

11. patlet

patlet New Member

Geese will be the bosses. The chickens will need to be able to get away (ie up to roost) for cohabitation. We used to house everyone together, but everyone now seems happier because they have their own home at night.

12. pprkepr

pprkepr Junior Memberish

Question. I have a pair of African geese my friend gave us. They are not quite a year old yet. This morning i found the female sitting on a nest she made under my ornamental grasses. These are our first geese, so we are kind of lost. The temp here has been hovering around 32 for a few weeks now. Will she be ok to hatch her gosling there? i hate to try and move her.I guess my worry is if it is too cold for her.

13. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Mother Nature knows best (most of the time) ... I would let her be.

We had baby pigeons hatch last week with temps in the single digits ... Which is very early of the season.

14. patlet

patlet New Member

This year has been an odd one for geese. My youngsters started laying in November! Usually, my geese don't start laying until Feb. Could be inexperience since no one is actually sitting....just laying. That being said, if your goose is making a real nest, and starts to sit, well, be prepared for them being protective. Africans are especially known for being quite capable of defense. Also, how many geese do you want? If she hatches out a normal sized clutch, your flock can increase by twenty birds! I have seven lady geese right now, and if they all hatched out only a couple... Well you get my drift. So, if you want to eat eggs, gather them as soon as they are laid. She will keep replacing the ones you take. Geese only lay for a season, usually two months, and hatch in 28 days. When I want my girls to stop laying, I addle (shake vigorously) the eggs in the nest. Keeps momma happy so she stops laying, but I don't end up knee deep in geese. I already have 13. Good luck!

15. pprkepr

pprkepr Junior Memberish

She laid just one egg and didnt stay on the nest . We took the egg and put it in the incubator to see what happens.I think she was just as shocked by her egg as we were. lol hopefully she will "get it" but yes we need to make sure we manage our flock. thank you both for the info !