After much thought, I have concluded

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by TerryQui, Oct 2, 2012.

1. TerryQui

TerryQui New Member

That I have a need to go to Chicken's Anonymous. Is there such a thing???:p
    Would anyone else care to join me there?
    :confused:

2. jen3910

jen3910 New Member

I am right there with you! My poor husband has said NO MORE!!!!! But all I can think about is how to add some bantam silkies next year. And get more bunnies but that's another story. And a goat. He says we should just buy a farm which is a terrific idea but I said I am in over my head now -what kind of mess would I make of things if I had a whole farm lol :)

3. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

If we didn't have limits to the number of chickens we could have here in town, I would have one of every breed. Right now I am at my max of 12.

4. TerryQui

TerryQui New Member

I started out with the idea of six. Hubby saw them coming and coming and said, I thought you wanted six? He has no clue that there are now 40 out there. HA! Ten are serama's and about eight are old english. Those don't count. I think 9 large fowl and the rest bantams. AND I still find a new chicken that I want almost every day.
    I am selling some of them. Alot of them I just raised from babies and had extra's when I got them so some will find new homes and other farmers like them raised to egg laying age.
    I still will end up with around 30 though and oh yes, five serama's in the incubator. I would cut down but I look at each little face that I like and can't part with it. I do need a real farm, but like Jen, I would probably be in more trouble then too. hehe.

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Oh Terri, we're all nuts like you are about chickens. We share your torture and pain! Lol

6. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Don't worry ... it levels off after 25 or 30 years. :D

7. kiwicsi

kiwicsi Junior Member

I just rang my local Council and we can keep up to 10 hens (yay, wonder if I should work towards getting another coop!!!) Picking up my first 4 this Sunday. Only 4 more sleeps to go.

8. TerryQui

TerryQui New Member

Oh wow, I am 58 hehe..........
    No hope. lol

9. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Oh oh Terri. I'm 53. In right there with you. Hehehe.

10. redmaples

redmaples Junior Member

Seems everything I get into I want to make bigger!!!

Started with 12 chickens and a little 6 x 4 ft coop 2-1/2 years ago. now I have 25 chickens in a 12 x 12 coop and an 8 x 8 homemade chicken tractor with 25 meat birds in it.

5 years ago Started with 25 taps for maple syrup with a roasting pan on cement blocks in the back yard burning about 1 cord of wood. now I have 300 taps on a vacuum tubing system 12 x 18 foot sugarhouse, a 2x6 foot evaporator burning 6-10 cords of wood and I am adding on another 100 taps for 2013 and expanding the sugar house next summer. Got 3rd place for my syrup at the fair this year.

last year I had 2 bee hives and made about 80-90 lbs of honey. This year I have 3 hives and when I am all done for the season I will be up to approx 240 lbs of honey. and next year I plan on buying a comercial honey extractor and going up to 4 hives. second year keeping bees.....Got 1st place for my honey at the fair this year.

and then there's my garden. 7 years ago I made a nice 20 x 20 ft garden which is now 32 x 64 feet and I plan on increasing it next spring and also adding in some fruit trees!!!!

Added in raspberries and 5 blueberry bushes....need to add more!!!

My wife says I am nuts!!! I need help. I have been bitten by the farming bug!!!! :eek:

11. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Yes, redmaples. I'm having the same stuff going on. For the green thumb bug.