6 months old and no eggs yet!

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by SamyIsh, Aug 8, 2012.

1. SamyIsh

SamyIsh New Member

I have 2 hens, one is a white rock and the other is also white with random light gray feathers but i think it may be a mix of some sort that has a smaller body. They are nearly 6 months old and have not layed a single egg. I feed them layena crumbles and they always have fresh water and all the grass that they can eat. I also feed table scraps occasionally. Should they have layed eggs by now? Is anyone else having this problem too?

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

6 months would make them about 24 weeks old correct? I wouldnt worry, some breeds lay anywhere between 20 to 30 weeks and some breeds take closer to 8 months. I would just keep giving the layer feed and calcium like egg shells or oyster shells . I currently have 6 hens that are about 25 weeks old and only 1 is laying everyday. One time I foudn a white egg in the coop but since then I havent gotten another and its been a good month now.

3. SamyIsh

SamyIsh New Member

Finally got my first egg today! Thank you for your reply, I guess I was just being a little impatient. I'm so excited to get enough for an omelette!