Come enter the CheeryChicks Giveaway!

Chicken Forum > Chicken Raising Forums > Meat Chickens > What is most store chicken? Hen or rooster?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
doug

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default What is most store chicken? Hen or rooster?

When you go to the grocery store and get a bag of chicken (breast, leg, thigh, etc.)

Is it primarily rooster or hen meat?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
BuckeyeChickens

Liked 139 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 181

chances are it's both....most grocery store chickens are "cornish/rock" crosses (or hybrids) that are bred to grow rapidly (about 8 weeks) and both the pullets and cockerels (females/males) are used by the commercial chicken industry!!!

Jeff Lay
Grand PooBah

The American Buckeye Club
Established in 1909
www.americanbuckeyeclub.blogspot.com

also Owner of Crains Run Ranch
www.crainsrunranch.com

(100+ Buckeye LF adults and about 20 American Gamefowl)

kejmack Likes This 
Old 09-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
BootedBantam
New Chicken Mom

Liked 179 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 138

I was under the assupmtion that the breast white chicken was all jacked up with crap to make them bigger and the dark meat on the bones was God only knows? Unless you know where your chicken came from. I am going to make an uneducated guess, more roosters since more people want hens for eggs.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Energyvet
ChF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 645 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 33

If they are meat breeds meant to grow quickly then it would make sense it's both. I've never heard differently in any training I've had.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
TinyHouse

Liked 94 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootedBantam View Post
I was under the assumption that the breast white chicken was all jacked up with crap to make them bigger and the dark meat on the bones was God only knows? Unless you know where your chicken came from. I am going to make an uneducated guess, more roosters since more people want hens for eggs.
I believe that the large chicken processors inject salt water into a lot of the meat to "plump" it up even more and add "flavor".

The Cornish/Rock crosses for meat grow so fat so fast that they have to be butchered or they will die from heart failure. Sometimes you can't wait even 8 weeks or they will start dropping like flies. There's no way the females would ever live to lay eggs so both males and females will be butchered. This is the chicken that's virtually in every grocery store/fast food/restaurant here in the U.S. unless it's specifically labeled as a different breed. It's the ONLY type of chicken that's used for McNuggets (if you can call that "chicken").
Old 09-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
earlyt89

Liked 122 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was under the impression that most butcher houses use IDEAL 256 chickens. Originally bred from Ideal Poultry. And the roosters get butchered at just over 3 months. But that's just what I've heard

Old 09-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
BuckeyeChickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyHouse View Post
I believe that the large chicken processors inject salt water into a lot of the meat to "plump" it up even more and add "flavor".

The Cornish/Rock crosses for meat grow so fat so fast that they have to be butchered or they will die from heart failure. Sometimes you can't wait even 8 weeks or they will start dropping like flies. There's no way the females would ever live to lay eggs so both males and females will be butchered. This is the chicken that's virtually in every grocery store/fast food/restaurant here in the U.S. unless it's specifically labeled as a different breed. It's the ONLY type of chicken that's used for McNuggets (if you can call that "chicken").
90% of the commercially grown chickens for MEAT are the Cornish/Rock or Cornish Hybrid....they are bred to produce lots of meat in the shortest time (usually about 8 weeks). In a commercial environment they would do as "TinyHouse" says....die from heart failure or their legs will break from their body weight. however, lots of folks successfully raise these same birds on pasture and supplemental feed without the problems "TinyHouse" suggested, yet most of them are butchered somewhere between 8-12 weeks of age anyway! Unless a chicken is labeled otherwise it will be these Cornish/Rocks....even those "organic" chickens can still be these Hybrids just fed an "organic" diet!!!

Jeff Lay
Grand PooBah

Established in 1909

www.crainsrunranch.com

Old 09-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
BuckeyeChickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyt89 View Post
I was under the impression that most butcher houses use IDEAL 256 chickens. Originally bred from Ideal Poultry. And the roosters get butchered at just over 3 months. But that's just what I've heard
There are many commercial producers to the commercial "broiler" and "layer" industries. One of the larger "hatcheries" to the commecial market is a company called Morris Hatchery and they sell three different types of Cornish/Rock or "Hybrid" broilers that are basically "trademarked"! The Cobb 500, Ross 308 and Hubbard so I wouldn't be suprised if some folks use the Ideal 256 as "EarlyT" suggest....I just don't believe Ideal can supply ALL the broiler chickens the commercial broiler industry produces!!! Here is a link to Morris Hatcery;

http://www.morrishatchery.com/about.html

Jeff Lay
Grand PooBah

Established in 1909

www.crainsrunranch.com

Old 09-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
TinyHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeChickens View Post
90% of the commercially grown chickens for MEAT are the Cornish/Rock or Cornish Hybrid....they are bred to produce lots of meat in the shortest time (usually about 8 weeks). In a commercial environment they would do as "TinyHouse" says....die from heart failure or their legs will break from their body weight. however, lots of folks successfully raise these same birds on pasture and supplemental feed without the problems "TinyHouse" suggested, yet most of them are butchered somewhere between 8-12 weeks of age anyway! Unless a chicken is labeled otherwise it will be these Cornish/Rocks....even those "organic" chickens can still be these Hybrids just fed an "organic" diet!!!
Not doubting you (because I don't really have that much experience with them) but how do they raise them to an age they can actually lay eggs? I spent time on a farm last year where we did pasture Cornish/Rock crosses and they mostly just laid around until the feed showed up and then they acted like they hadn't eaten for days! They got to the point where they could barely walk. I can't imagine how we'd have been able to have kept any of them alive past the 8-week mark where we butchered them. We had some turning blue and dying and when we cut them open, their hearts were enlarged, flabby and surrounded by fat.

And as you pointed out, there's a difference between "organic" and "heirloom". A chicken can be a hybrid and still be raised organically. Heirloom and organic would be the ultimate bird.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
TinyHouse

Another thing about them - they didn't even look or act like "normal" chickens. They were fed organic feed and taken very good care of - I know, I'm the one who carried the feed and water to them twice a day! We gave them cider vinegar mixed in their water and moved their feeding station around so that they had fresh grass underneath the canopy. They didn't walk around, didn't forage and most were missing a lot of feathers. Seemed like their entire system was programmed to put on weight and not expend any more energy than necessary on walking or growing anything but those huge breasts. In contrast, the people where I was staying also got about 25 RIRs at the same time and they were bright, inquisitive and running around the pasture where we had them, foraging and acting like real chickens. The C/R Xs were just nasty birds as far as I was concerned. I vowed after that experience that, if I ever decided to raise chickens for meat, I was not going to have that kind. I'm willing to wait a few more weeks for any chicken I was going to butcher.

Quick Reply