Photo of the Month Winner - sideways

Chicken Forum > Chicken Raising Forums > What Breed/Gender is This? > Barred Rok/Easter Egger?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
valleychicks

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Barred Rock/Easter Egger?

My four hens are now 6 months old and I'm wondering if you guys could confirm what I think they are? I bought them from someone that got them from a lady that had way, way too many chickens. We assumed they were Barred Rock/Easter Egg crosses and that they were all the same age. One has always been bigger than the others, and now another one is almost her size. The third is a bit smaller, but the fourth is the same size as my 8 week old silkies! She's always been tiny and I thought she would fill in, but she hasn't much. She seems taller than the others and she's the one with the crazy feathers on her face (her name is Pixie). Pixie is very sweet, VERY docile, calm and always stays back with the Silkies when the others take off foraging. She's always been that way.

Picture 1 is Doris. She looks the most like an Easter Egger mix to me. She's the most dominant chicken I have (over the rooster!).

Picture 2 - Doris, Phyllis, Rose - the three main chickens. Two look almost like a Barred Rock and are the biggest. The one in the middle has more brown.

Picture 3 - Doris and Rose

Picture 4 - Rose, she's always been the biggest one and has matured the fastest.

Picture - Sweet little Pixie. The smallest one. Doesn't seem to be maturing at all.

c1.jpg  

c2.jpg  

c3.jpg  

c4.jpg  

c5.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Itsacutefuzzball
ChF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts

If it were up to me, I'd say most of them are Dominique/Easter Egger crosses because of the pea comb. (I think that's what the small comb is called)

The moment one gives close attention to any thing, even a blade of grass it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself.
-Henry Miller

Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
valleychicks

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Don't Dominique's have rose combs though?

Old 07-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Apyl
ChF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 447 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 259

Barred is a color that is common among quit a few breeds. Being in the US I am not sure what barred breeds are common in Canada. My opinion is that are a barn yard mix of multiple breeds . I don't see Easter Egger at all in them, I see barring , feathered legs in some, small single combs as well as pea. A lot of the combs are hard to make out except a couple . If the person whom these originate from had way to many chickens I can bet she had more than two breeds in one pen. I would have to say unless you seen the original flock with the possible breeds you will never know what exactly they are. Heck even the parents were probably mixes, there is no way of knowing.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
JC17

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Whatever they are, they're very pretty birds

Old 07-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
WeeLittleChicken

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Awe, they look a lot like the Golden Cuckoo Maran pair I'm raising... who also have feathered legs and pea combs.... here's a pic of mine (sorry they're younger) for comparison. The rooster has the same blonde barred head as one of yours... I have no idea what the last one is though, other then very pretty.

Proud keeper of a flock of laying hens and another wee flock of breeding Seramas. See all our adventures here at my chicken blog: Tales From the Birdello

valleychicks Likes This 
Old 07-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
kaufranc
ChF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 150 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree, I don't see EE either. The feathered leg is odd too. EE don't have feathered legs. I like the little one! She seems very sweet looking!

Franky's Farm

Old 07-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
jennifer

Liked 128 Times on 97 Posts

They are really cute

Old 07-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
valleychicks

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Any idea where the crazy feathers of the smallest one would come from? And why she's so small, yet tall?

Old 08-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
Jim

Liked 210 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleychicks
Any idea where the crazy feathers of the smallest one would come from? And why she's so small, yet tall?
With the head feathers, I have to wonder if there was some polish mixed in there somewhere.

www.facebook.com/JimsRoost

Chicken Forum Members Map https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=208641837712679712555.0004e3d 6d782dd6599d99

Quick Reply