Photo of the Month Winner - sideways

Chicken Forum > Chicken Raising Forums > Chick Raising Forum > tell tale signs a hens about to start laying???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
grgfishkeeper

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default tell tale signs a hens about to start laying???

I know when the comb turns redder is there any others?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
7chicks
ChF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 503 Times on 405 Posts
Likes Given: 384

I have one right now that has been inspecting the nest boxes after the other girls have laid. She's also been laying in the nest boxes in the evening and trying them out. Preplanning for which she likes best I guess.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
Bird_slave

Liked 78 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7chicks View Post
I have one right now that has been inspecting the nest boxes after the other girls have laid. She's also been laying in the nest boxes in the evening and trying them out. Preplanning for which she likes best I guess.
Yep and one other thing that you might notice when out and about around your birds...
In flocks with a rooster, pullets that are close to laying will start submitting to the rooster by squatting for him to mate; sitting down and spreading her wings out a bit for the roo to stand on.
In flocks without a rooster, often times the hens will come to consider their owner to be their rooster and will do the same thing when approached.
I went for about a year without a rooster after my older hens were used to having one around. When I'd walk out to the chicken yard they'd all start squatting for me at once.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
rob
ChF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 319 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird_slave View Post
Yep and one other thing that you might notice when out and about around your birds...
In flocks with a rooster, pullets that are close to laying will start submitting to the rooster by squatting for him to mate; sitting down and spreading her wings out a bit for the roo to stand on.
In flocks without a rooster, often times the hens will come to consider their owner to be their rooster and will do the same thing when approached.
I went for about a year without a rooster after my older hens were used to having one around. When I'd walk out to the chicken yard they'd all start squatting for me at once.

mine have started squatting when i approach, im glad i read this because i thought they where affraid !....cheers mate.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
grgfishkeeper

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I actually got a rooster today and put it in my run and i see what your saying every laying hen squated down. And the none laying just ran away

Quick Reply