Come enter the CheeryChicks Giveaway!

Chicken Forum > Chicken Raising Forums > Broody Hens & Egg Laying > How many eggs do you get each day?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
doug

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default How many eggs do you get each day?

I have a dozen Australorp pullets so kind of looking to see how many eggs I should expect per day.

How many chickens do you have, what breed and how many eggs a day do you get?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
cindy

Liked 77 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

11 red sexlinks, I get 11 jumbo brown eggs everyday without fail even in the winter.
the sex links are 1 1/2 years old.
my other girls have not yet begun to lay.

The Australorp Breed was developed in Australia at the end of the nineteenth century with Black Orpington stock from England. The breed also has genes from Rhode Island Red, White Leghorn, Langshan and Minorca crosses. The purpose of the breed was as a “utility” chicken for both high egg production and meat. It was originally known as the Black Utility Orpingtons. The breed was standardized after World War One and admitted to the Standard of Perfection in 1929 in England under the fitting name Australorp. By the end of World War Two, Australian poultry breeders wrote up their own breed standards, which have been accepted worldwide. Historically, Australorps have been egg-laying champions: an Australorp hen once laid 364 eggs in 365 days.
They are an exceptionally beautiful bird, quite big, with black glossy feathers that have a green sheen and huge black soulful eyes.
I'd say you can look forward to lots of fresh eggs....

Old 07-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
skrutz

We have 16 hens, a combination of Rhode Island Reds, Australorps, Speckled Sussex, Golden Wyandotte and Barred Rocks - 1.5 years old -- when they first started laying last fall we often got 13-16 eggs a day, now we average 10-11.

The Australorps are gorgeous birds and seem to be the "top hens" of our coop. Enjoy them!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Snyburg

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have two australorpe hens and one gives me an egg almost every day, the other one averages every other day. They have been really good layers. I now have 4 younger birds, of different breeds, and will be interested in knowing how good of an egg layer they turn out to be.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
edenjohnny

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have 5 Lohmann Brown ex free range layers , they were due to be culled at 70 weeks. I got them , and they give me 4 eggs every day. One will come into moult, and stop laying then another one restarts again,. I reckon after the summer they will alll be in full lay.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Inglewoody

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Our 11 various breed girls give us about 6-8 a day, and the 6 quail pump out 4-5 a day between them. We use them ourselves, give some to friends and neighbours and 'sell' them at work for half the price of free range shop-bought eggs... people queue up for them as they taste so much nicer!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
NOBALLOON

I have 1 rooster and 13 hens ( a variety) and i get 9-10 a day. If the coons don't sneak in and get em.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
ThreeJ

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 48

My first flock of 23 use to average about 18 a day. My new flock of 25 haven't started producing yet.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
poneal

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have 4 Rhode Island Reds. I average 4 eggs per day, we have actually had 5 twice. They are about 1 year old.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
hollyosborn
HollyOsborn

Liked 93 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 132

i have 7 leghorns, 6 rhodes and a bantam silkie mix... during the cooler winter/spring months.. i was getting a good dozen a day... now im down to 5-7... they obviously dont like the heat LOL

Quick Reply