Photo of the Month Winner - sideways

Chicken Forum > Chicken Raising Forums > Parasites, Pests, & Predators > chicken eye worm

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
farmgirl

Default chicken eye worm

All my hens have been good no problmes at all. now I have 7 with chicken eye worm. i am using Vet RX and seen the YouTube on how to give the med for it. How long do you haveto do this? and where does it come from? anyone help me out. thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
fuzziebutt
Flocker

Liked 304 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 439

Hi farmgirl, and welcome to the forum! I read up on eyeworm, and it is disgusting!! Here is what I found, and I hope it helps. Here is the cause of eyeworms: Chickens are exposed to eye worms by eating cockroaches infected with the worms. The cockroaches eat chicken droppings full of worm eggs that hatch inside their bodies and become larvae. The chickens then eat the infected cockroaches. The worms migrate up through the chicken's esophagus and up through the ducts to the eye. These worms swim underneath the chicken's eyeball. Treat eye worms in chickens using prevention methods and medical intervention.

Here is the treatment for it: Eye worms in chickens are mostly treated by a medicine called VetRx. VetRx is available at feed stores. Add 1 tsp. of VetRx to one cup of very warm water. Administer the treatment to the chicken by holding the bird under one arm. Open the chicken's mouth, and turn the bird down so the cleft in the roof of the mouth is in plain view. Dab the end of a cotton swab into a warm VetRx solution, and apply it directly to the cleft. VetRx will come from both sides of the beak, and pus will drain from the eyes. Clean the pus from the chicken's eyes and allow the bird to rest. Repeat until the chicken is free of eye worms.

Good luck and let us know!!!

Read more: What Are the Treatments for Eye Worms in Chickens? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_10073623_treatments-eye-worms-chickens.html#ixzz2Jtia9BJd

Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
Energyvet
ChF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 646 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Is this ocular larval migrans of round worms? Children and dogs can get that too. It can cause blindness as well.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
kahiltna_flock

Liked 112 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wish I hadn't read that before bed....

Old 02-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
farmgirl

Thank you, I have been using the vet rx. but think i am doing it wrong. watchig you tube so much using a cotton ball but i dont think i am doing down her throat far enough. i will do that when i get home fro work. and i was ready in another thread about garlic. I was wondering if putting garlic in there feed would help against this. since i cant figue out how they got this.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
fuzziebutt
Flocker

The link that I gave you tells how they got it. Somehow, there is a cycle of roaches with the worm larvae, the chickens eating the larvae, and it hatching in the chickens, and making it's way up the sinus'. Or, it gets pooped out, the roaches eat it, and the chickens eat the roaches again. Use the Vet Rx like the link says, and do WHATEVER is necessary to exterminate the roaches, even if it's the hotels in the coop. And I would remove these chickens from the healthy ones until they are well.

And I don't think it is supposed to go down her throat. You hold the chicken upside down, and use a qtip to swab the solution on the roof of her mouth, and swab it alot. If I understand it right, it should come out of the top of her mouth, and run out of her eyes also. That should wash the worms out, and kill what worms are in there. And continue to do it until no more worms come out. Is that what it sounds like to you?? This is foreign to me, but let's see what others say about it. I think that is what the directions are saying.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Sundancers
ChF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 269 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzziebutt View Post
The link that I gave you tells how they got it. Somehow, there is a cycle of roaches with the worm larvae, the chickens eating the larvae, and it hatching in the chickens, and making it's way up the sinus'. Or, it gets pooped out, the roaches eat it, and the chickens eat the roaches again. Use the Vet Rx like the link says, and do WHATEVER is necessary to exterminate the roaches, even if it's the hotels in the coop. And I would remove these chickens from the healthy ones until they are well.

And I don't think it is supposed to go down her throat. You hold the chicken upside down, and use a qtip to swab the solution on the roof of her mouth, and swab it alot. If I understand it right, it should come out of the top of her mouth, and run out of her eyes also. That should wash the worms out, and kill what worms are in there. And continue to do it until no more worms come out. Is that what it sounds like to you?? This is foreign to me, but let's see what others say about it. I think that is what the directions are saying.
fuzziebutt ... you got it.

That is the way I understand it also.

Andi

Homesteading ... it's a way of life.

"I am the momma-bear your daddy warned you about" ...

Old 02-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
fuzziebutt
Flocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancers View Post
fuzziebutt ... you got it.

That is the way I understand it also.
Thank you!!!! I just wanted to make sure!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
farmgirl

i will be trying it again. this is all new to me. never had this problem before. I read how tey get it. but I dont see roaches around our place. i hate those thibngs. YUCK!! I will be going to Home depot and getting a roach motel, cuz they are not welcome at my home. thanks

Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
fuzziebutt
Flocker

They may be the wood or water kind of bugs, the ones that you find under wood, or around water. Chickens just dig around looking for treasures like that!

Quick Reply