Photo of the Month Winner - sideways

Chicken Forum > Chicken Raising Forums > Beginners Forum > Hatchery? Craigslist? Local Breeder? Where should I get my featherbabies?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #21
Energyvet
ChF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 646 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I'm doing the same thing. 9 house chickens. I am crazy! :-). And I'm keeping them in until I know they can go out safely. Gotta train the Roos, gotta grow up the babies, gotta get the coop ready. Gonna be at least until March. Then, we'll see.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #22
robopetz

Liked 127 Times on 94 Posts

Mines are full time indoor. I once tried to take Pheobie outside and she quickly ran up the stair and in the door as soon as I put her down. Another thing is, I have never had a chicken that was so picky when it comes to food!!! She only eats certain things, and most of them she'll only eat if I hand feed them to her... Omg! Really? Dang spoiled brat.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #23
realsis

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts

@energyvet, you sound exactly like me! Can't bare to put them out until I'm sure it's safe, covered, electric wired! My oldest is 4 months and fully feathered but she's still inside! I figured by may or June not sure either and it will be hard to do. I keep a great eye on them in the house. But I know eventually it must be done. Just want to make sure it's perfect first! I know I need to buy some siding, plastic, and the electric fence yet. Gotta do it little by little as moneys tight. But I don't mind them inside a bit! Even bought diapers at pampered poultry for one! Guess I'm crazy too! Oh well! I do love my chickens I think I'd be crushed if a preditor got them! I pray that never happens! I'm so in love! I actually get excited every morning to see them! I got the cutest bumper sticker, it says I Love my silkie, and has a picture of a silkie. I also found the cutest shirt, it's a tank top for the summer and it says Got silkies? With a picture of a silkie under it! I'll show you a picture!

forumrunner_20130208_085932.jpg

simple things in life bring the most Joy!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #24
Energyvet
ChF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 646 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 33

How Funny! Great shirt. Mine are going out in March or April. I'm struggling with 9 chickens in the house. Just tested for mites as my red comet had something that jumped on me. <<itchy>>.

I introduced the new baby silkies to the group. There in with the big kids today. I'll keep them separate again tonight. Another week and ill see how the new Roos do with the group.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
realsis

Very nice! I did the same. My lil ones are in with the big kids too but thank God they are letting the babies eat and drink! So far so good! I watch them like a hawk! Hoping it will be fine. So far it's going well. However my rooster was a much better mother than my pullet. Ha Ha.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #26
Diane

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

great coop and such CUTE babies!!!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #27
kaufranc
ChF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 150 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Star, where are you from?

Realsis, love the shirt! I would like the Silkie breeders info if you don't mind. I have 4 Silkies and would like to add a hen or 2 in the spring maybe.

image-581438907.jpg

These are my 2 girls!

Franky's Farm

Old 02-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #28
realsis

Hi I get mine from Amber Waves, they are a NPIP flock. There is no minimum order. Debbie and Jim are there names. They are wonderful folks. They ship so nicely with a heat pack, some straw, fresh fruit for the trip and a really nice shipping box! I know they are in the process of hatching now. However they have one partridge hen up for sale and some blues I believe 2to3 months old. She said the chicks will be up for sale in a month because she won't ship chicks under a month old. The chicks came with a NPIP certificate that tells what they we're tested for and that they are clean. My older birds did not come with this however they also are of course tested and clean. Maybe she forgot? Any way you can check out there web site. And shopping cart. The web site is just Amber waves silkies. But there actual store is Amber waves my big commerce. Com. Like I said earlier they are in there process of hatching so selection is limited now however you can call and I'm certain they will have more very soon. They sell white, splash, black, blue, partridge, and buff. I got two partridge, 1black, and 1buff. I wanted a white but they sell out fast. I'm certain you can reserve what you like or want ahead of time. Let me know what happens. Here is their phone number. Jim usually answers 951-233-4231, or 951 736-1076. I've had better luck with the first number. Right now they have a sale for valentines day it's 10%off chicks 2to3 months old. Expires Feb 14. They also have black copper French maran chicks right now too! Hope this is helpful to you! If you have any questions at all please ask. With the silkies they offer DNA sexing also it's only around 20 dollars to do. I had two of my chicks DNA sexed. The others I got hen guarantees. Meaning if they turn up cockerels,they are replaced for free. Not including shipping. I already did this with one and they are very nice and I sent back the cockerel. So they could find him a good home. Let Me know if there is more you would like to know. Here is a picture of one of my birds from there. Best wishes

forumrunner_20130209_101248.jpg

Old 02-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #29
realsis

Here is another pic

forumrunner_20130209_101837.jpg

forumrunner_20130209_102033.jpg

Old 02-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #30
robopetz

Liked 127 Times on 94 Posts

Your buff is really light looking in here.

Quick Reply