Photo of the Month Winner - sideways

Chicken Forum > Chicken Raising Forums > General Chicken Discussion > Same egg color

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
chickenmommy

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Default Same egg color

Up until today I thought I only had one laying hen. But today I found two eggs in the nest. They look almost like the same color. Do buff Orpington and partridge rocks eggs look the same?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
WeeLittleChicken

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 13

No, Orpintons tend to have tan eggs and rocks tend to have brown eggs with a pink tint. Sometimes they can be the same hue depending... but the rocks definitely look pinkish under the right light! I tried taking a photo but my camera doesn't pick up on it right.... but I hope this helps anyway.

Proud keeper of a flock of laying hens and another wee flock of breeding Seramas. See all our adventures here at my chicken blog: Tales From the Birdello

Old 07-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
chickenmommy

These eggs are more tan than brown but I have only seen the rock laying in the nest and sitting on eggs.. Hmmmmm. If anyone has a pic of partridge rock eggs please share. I'm totally confused right now :/

Old 07-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
WeeLittleChicken

I'll try and take a photo tomorrow in natural sunlight. My camera really hates indoor lighting. If these are their first eggs they might all be tan/light. Mine seem to have those early on in their cycle. Just because the rock is broody doesn't mean she's the one laying them but she could be. If you get two eggs a day for two days straight I'd say it's a safe bet they're both laying.

Proud keeper of a flock of laying hens and another wee flock of breeding Seramas. See all our adventures here at my chicken blog: Tales From the Birdello

Old 07-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
chickenmommy

Thanks weelittlechicken. I got the Orpington and the rock from the same guy. When I got them he claimed the Orpington was laying and the rock was about to. But I have never seen the Orpington in the nest and she wasn't very big when I got her. The partridge I have seen In The nest and a couple hours later there's an egg. So I always assumed it was her. I didn't get any eggs for the first couple weeks that I got them and then about 2 weeks ago I started getting my first eggs. I'm not sure if either chicken was actually already a layer when I got them. So I'm not sure if these are their first eggs or not.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Apyl
ChF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 447 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 259

Yes Orpingtons and Rocks have the same color eggs, or at least all the eggs from those breeds I've seen have both been tan.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
chickenmommy

Thanks apyl

Old 07-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Jim

Liked 211 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim

I can't speak for the rock, but on the Orpingtons I have, the eggs are much more round than oval.

www.facebook.com/JimsRoost

Chicken Forum Members Map https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=208641837712679712555.0004e3d 6d782dd6599d99

Old 07-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
WeeLittleChicken

Here's a pic of my eggs... The one on the left is a rock - and yes, it has a pink tint! The other two are Orpington or Brahma, can't be 100% sure but there's no pink in them.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
chickenmommy

Well I caught my buff Orpington laying an egg in the nest today. And the eggs that I have been eating have the bullseye on them. If I keep the eggs in the nest how will I know if they will be able to be hatched. I mean does the chicken have to sit on them for a certain amount of time a day for them to continue to be viable? Any help appreciated

Quick Reply