Photo of the Month Winner - poutrylover99

Chicken Forum > Chicken Raising Forums > General Chicken Discussion > How many chickens do you have?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Fowler

Default How many chickens do you have?

I am trying to decide how many chickens to get. I live on 50 acres

Want them for eggs for family and friends.

How many chickens do you have?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
ThreeJ

Liked 77 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 48

The first time I had chickens I had 25, two were roosters. At their peak production I got 18 eggs a day average. I had plenty of eggs to eat, give away and sell. This time I got 30 chicks. I ended up with 4 roosters. How big is your coop? I keep mine in 2 horse stalls. I could keep up to 100, but I am the only one really taking care of them too. I am only on 3 acres.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
cichlid11

Likes Given: 1

the only time i have had chickens is well now lol and i have 8 3 red sexlinks brown egg layers and golden comets also brown egg layers, and recently just got 2 more that are both white one is albino jersey giant and the other is a white banny hen about 6 weeks i would say for something like 50 acres if it was me i would have about 100 chickens reason being is they say for every chicken u are supposed to have 4 square feet for them to grow aslong as they have outside space aswell as inside space u will have healthy chickens

Old 07-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
CasadePolloDesigns

I have 10 hens. 2 each of Buff Orpingtons, Australorps, Partridge Plymouth Rocks, SLW, and Partridge Cochins. I can have 25 hens, and 1 roo in my area, but for the area we planned the coop, we felt 10 was plenty, and we didn't want a roo. Also, at the time I had no clue so many people would want the extra eggs. I have more requests for eggs, than I have eggs to go around. Still, the 10 are plenty right now. I would want to make my inclosed run much bigger if I got more. The hen house is big enough for more though, but this gives them all room to move around.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Apyl
ChF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 448 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 259

I currently have 19 Chickens and 9 ducks. We plan to butcher 3 more roosters then we are done until next year. So in the end we'll have 16 chickens. Come next spring we will let the broodies hatch as many babies as they want and either sell the babies, keep a few for more eggs, and some for meat. We have our chickens and ducks to provide eggs for us and neighbors, meat for us and eventually for neighbors, and to give us babies to keep the circle going.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
vondonna

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I have 65 hens and 3 roosters. I live in Indiana where it's been nearly 100º with no rain for the last 6 weeks so my egg production is really low. Poor things are doing their best to stay cool. We're going through multiple bags of frozen veggies every day just to try to keep them cool.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
sukisuz

We love in Scottsdale, AZ and are backyard chicken owners. We have 12 hens and we LOVE them!

Old 07-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
ct62

i have about 47 chicken 4 of which are Cornish cross was gonna eat them they are the remaining out of 25 of them but im thinking of incubating so i dont have to buy more and i can hatch as many or few as i like. my other girls are a mix of buffs. speckled Sussex,cinnamon queen, black australorps (sorry if miss spelled),white rocks,silver and golden laced wyndotts, red sex go links and my ducks of 4 muddy puddles Daisy Konnie and my girls are doin good even though its hot eggs are still going good we free range our girls here in missouri

Old 07-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Sundancers
ChF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 269 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 518

I have 20 hens ( I had to count them to post) plus 2 free range roosters. (they stay near the hen house, so I don't have to worry about them in the garden.) and I keep them ... just "in case" ... LOL

Andi

Homesteading ... it's a way of life.

"I am the momma-bear your daddy warned you about" ...

Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
UncleJoe
ChF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I just recently split our 16 into 3 groups.

1 Roo and 5 hens are free range. One of the hens is now sitting on a huge pile of eggs under the shed.

Another Roo and 5 hens are in a coop and run. These are the egg providers to the tune of about 5 dozen a week.

Then there is a smaller coop where I have 4 Roos from last falls hatching. These are in case we lose the free range Roo or if I decide to fire up the pressure canner.

Quick Reply